Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cookies - A Complete Guide

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 carissa_lee_

carissa_lee_

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 28 January 2011 - 08:17 AM

I wonder how many of you knew that Adobe Flash has "hidden cookies"? I just found out about this by reading the article in the link below.
http://www.imasuper.com/66/technology/flas...privacy-killer/

A couple additions for those who have interest in cookies. There are a couple new breeds out there since this was written.

For those interested do a google for flash cookies and the latest privacy threat ever cookies.

I was reading an article on the Wall Street Journal's website, here: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/07/30/lawsuit-tackles-files-that-re-spawn-tracking-cookies/
regarding a lawsuit against a number of companies who use these "flash cookies" or the Local Shared Object (LSO) cookies through Adobe Flash Player, because they can "re-spawn" (or recreate) these cookies after you've deleted them, without your knowledge?? After reading that article, I wanted to learn more about it so I came here because I always come to this site first for any questions I have. So, here goes!

Since this thread was started, is there much more information than the links already posted here regarding flash cookies? Is there any programs that can remove them? Better yet, any programs that remove them and prevent them from "re-spawning"? Any chance there might be a new, quick & easy way to delete them? By quick & easy, I mean something similar to deleting browsing history through IE via Tools/Internet Options...a few clicks, and you're done.

For some reason I get really irked reading about all of the tracking that goes on, the more I read the more annoyed I get. "Regular" cookies are okay, the ones I can easily delete if I so choose, I'm visiting someone else's site so I look at it as somewhat of a give & take situation. But it's the stuff that isn't well known, or is hidden and sneaky, those really annoy me. Like the above flash cookies information, as well as stuff like device fingerprinting, etc.

Edited by carissa_lee_, 28 January 2011 - 08:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 johhny

johhny

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:29 AM

This guide is very informative. thanks alot for this post.

#18 ronifinder

ronifinder

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:15 AM

Thanks to share this valuable information...Yes Cookies are very useful things of internet through browser....

#19 chandrra

chandrra

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

thanks for the post... nice and usefull information in a simple way ... thank you ...keep posting such usefull information....

#20 Erin Walsh

Erin Walsh

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

Great article that is the easiest explanation I have seen to date.  I would add that even if you think you have deleted all the cookies, there still may be ghosts in your browser.  It may be necessary to repeat the process from time-to-time, just to be certain you are gettng everything.  And yes, registry cleaners are good at getting everything the first time and helping you maintain that level of confidence. 

#21 jwmghf

jwmghf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:13 PM

Hey guys:

I hope this is posted in the right area? Forgive me if not. Anyway, can I delete cookies and history from an AOL browser on my iPad Air?? I've done some looking around and haven't seen much that covers this topic.

Thanks

Edited by jwmghf, 29 January 2015 - 10:05 PM.

#22 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 09:30 AM

Why not just get rid of the entire AOL browser? Can't think of a good reason for having that.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#23 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 18,621 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:56 PM

I'll agree with buddy. The AOL Browser have been discontinued around 8 years ago. There's no valid reason to use it anymore. There was a thread this week where a user couldn't download a file using the browser, but managed to download it just fine using a modern browser like Google Chrome. Outdated and discontinued web browsers and other programs shouldn't be used anymore since they might not be equipped to accomplish the tasks of today and they can pose a security threat.

unite_blue.png
Technical Support, Tier 2 | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | R&D at Certly | @AuraTheWhiteHat
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#24 jwmghf

jwmghf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 11:43 AM

Thanks guys. I will forward this to my Aunt!!!

#25 Node

Node

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:27 AM

Interesting guide!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users