Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No onboard USB access for my Dell XPS400

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fifty2weekhi

fifty2weekhi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:28 PM

Hi! First time post. I hope I get some responses.

I have a Dell XPS400 from 2005, running Windows XP. A few years ago, the onboard USB ports "gradually" went out of commission, meaning flaky for a while but eventually went totally shot. As there is no onboard PS/2 ports, once the onboard USB ports stopped functioning, I can NO LONGER

• Go into CMOS setup
  • Boot from CD-ROM drive
  • Hit F1 to continue...etc.

I have been lucky somehow most of the time the PC continued to boot up Windows despite the "Keyboard error" on booting up the motherboard. But I am scared to restart the PC and have kept it powered up most of the time. (I've installed PCI USB card in the meantime for USB access under Windows.) A few days ago I started getting "system voltage low" message when I had to reboot the PC. I was unable to press any key to continue. I was about to finally give up after power cycling some 40-50 times without success, then it finally booted up again.

Aside from changing the CMOS battery, which is my absolute last resort -- because currently with some luck I could still boot up but if I reset CMOS, I know for sure I won't have any luck left because I'd have to set the time and date -- is there anything else I can try?

BTW, if anyone who has a DELL XPS400 without driving distance of Mechanicsburg PA, please let me know too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

Well, nothing lasts forever and if you've had seven years of usage from it, I think you you've done quite well. But it sounds like the motherboard is about to give up the ghost, so remove the HD and then consign it to history.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users