Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Undo A Disc Cleanup?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 roxy722

roxy722

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:10 PM

Hi, someone in my house is doing a constant disc cleanup which makes me wonder what they are hiding. Also the history on internet explorer is wiped out all the time too. In disc cleanup I know I can look through the files and see what has been looked at previously. but with the cleaning it all the time I can no longer see as its all wiped out. Is there anyway to undo a disc cleanup?
Any help will be so very appreciated.
Roxy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:25 PM

Look in your recycle bin and see if anything is in there.

If you have kids, you may want to install a keylogger which puts its data in a protected folder. Then you can see where they were and what they did.

#3 roxy722

roxy722
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:09 PM

Thank you for trying to help me. The recycle bin is empty. I think clear history in for temporary internet files and clear history was done too. As its not my kids that did this I cant install that because the person doing it is grown up and too computer savvy and would find it.
Sincerest thanks though for at least answering me.
Roxy

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:09 PM

Hi Roxy

I noticed your question.
Been doing research into file recovery lately.
It isn't for the particularly challenged PC user,
but freeware exists that
will restore deleted files.

Based on the fact that files that are placed in the recycle bin are not "wiped",
but merely the initial identification of them is modified, in winXP file systems,
and until & or unless they are actually "overwritten", they remain intact.

Practical use of the (these) freeware needs to be explained beyond what the help
within the program states, I'm finding.
In particular,
the partition where the deleted files exist (typically your C:\) can not be the partition
from where the program is run.

Ideally you would have two separate HDs, one for system files (C:\) and the other for
perhaps your program files, data stored, large files like those for movies or music, etc.
It also works to have the single HD set up to have, as mentioned, more than one partition.
Windows would "see" perhaps a C:\, a D:\ and an G:\ if three partitions were used
in place of your present C:\

Unfortunately, setting the present HD up this way would involve reformatting it.
That would require wiping the drive, starting all over with a fresh installation of winXP.

You could simply buy another HD and install it, instead.
The software typically included with such a retail purchase (at say 50.00 - 100.00) will allow
you to partition the new (non-system) HD anyway you choose.

Anyway you do it, you will necessarily be required to:
1. Reveal the fact you are interested in learning more about your PC.
2. Do something about that interest.
3. Actually understand what you are doing.

Any of which might indeed be a general hint to the party whose use of it you question.
Perhaps a good thing? :thumbsup:

Let us know how to assist further.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users