Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

looking for third party spell checking + dictionary software

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gib65

gib65

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

We're working on a software project in which we want to implement spell checking. We don't want to write our own spell checking software from scratch, and we definitely don't want to write our own dictionary from scratch. We'd like to know what our options are.

Can we buy a spell checking dll along with a dictionary from Microsoft? From some other software company? Is there any open source freeware we can download?

Also, we would like to know what kind of overhead would be involved in incorporating such a package into our project. We're working in Visual Studios 2008 (possibly upgrading to 2010). How easy would it be to integrate third party spell checking/dictionary? What kind of access would we have in Visual Studios into that third party software (i.e. how easily can we customize the software via function calls, deleting/adding components (e.g. words in the dictionary), deleting/adding event handlers to events, etc.?)?

We would like as wide a variety of options as possible, so please, the more suggestions you have, the better. Thanks very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:34 PM

As far as I am aware, the only spell checking library available (outside of Microsoft) is Aspell. (Microsoft does not license their spell checker tech, at least to my understanding)

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 ident

ident

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

Take a look at i00 spell checker from vbforums.com Might be of some use.

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=661930

#4 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:11 PM

As far as I am aware, the only spell checking library available (outside of Microsoft) is Aspell. (Microsoft does not license their spell checker tech, at least to my understanding)

Billy3

Take a look at i00 spell checker from vbforums.com Might be of some use.

http://www.vbforums.com/showthread.php?t=661930

Thanks for the suggestions. It turns out that Microsoft Office's spell checker is available in IDE's like Visual Studios.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users