Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-virus and anti-malware conflict

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LynnMcnor

LynnMcnor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:07 AM

I have McAfee Total Protection on my HP Pavilion (Windows 7). I recently erroneously downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, due to a solicitous email, but had "run" problem and managed to get out of it. Tried to research it and concluded I don't need Anti-Malware with McAfee Total Protection. Do I? Program is still on my computer, dormant. Should I delete it or uninstall it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:21 AM

I have McAfee Total Protection on my HP Pavilion (Windows 7). I recently erroneously downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, due to a solicitous email, but had "run" problem and managed to get out of it. Tried to research it and concluded I don't need Anti-Malware with McAfee Total Protection. Do I? Program is still on my computer, dormant. Should I delete it or uninstall it?

Go to Start | Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features, find McAfee Total Protection in the list and click "Uninstall".

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,849 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hello,

I think you were asking whether to delete or uninstall MBAM. I'm hoping that it was the actual program and not a fake one.

In any case, if you installed the program, then to remove it, you need to uninstall it. If you merely downloaded the software program without installing it, then you can simply delete it from where-ever you saved it.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 LynnMcnor

LynnMcnor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 AM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:42 PM

Thanks a lot! Actually, it was the fake MBAM, the best I could tell. That's why I stopped the installation process just in time, and I really thought it was gone from my computer. I guess I'll just do an "uninstall" to be sure it's removed.

Edited by LynnMcnor, 11 May 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

An anti-virus program alone does not offer enough protection. Please read Why should you use both Anti Virus and Anti Spyware Software?.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users