Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrades to PC& Keeping some hardware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GracieM

GracieM

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:40 AM

Planning an upgrade after the summer to my custom built gaming system, now approaching 3 yrs old.

I have an Antec 1200 full tower with a Thermaltake 1000w modular PSU, and a Coolermaster V8 CPU cooler.

I will be replacing my Asus P6T Deluxe, my Nvidia GTX285 2 GB and my mildly OC'd I7-920 that runs @ 3.30 GHz

I would like to replace the Asus Mobo with either an Asus Sabretooth x79 or an Asrock x79 extreme. I've had mobo's from both of these companies and was pleased with them both. For my videocard Nvidia GeForce 670 2GB 16x and an I7 3930 3.2 GHz...no SLI planned for the moment.

The tower is serviceable and I plan to keep it. I had extra fans added when I bought the system. I have no liquid cooling, but I would like to keep the Coolermaster V8 cooler if it would work with the new configuration. I presume the PSU that I have would be useable as well. This system is used for CRPG's, The Dragon Ages, Skyrim, Gothic series, Deus EX, Divinity II DKS etc., etc.,

Are my selections feasible? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:52 AM

1000w is plenty for your system unless you're running 10 drives.. what kind of HD setup do you have. With a system like this you might as well go the extra mile and get an SSD if you don't have on already :)
Posted Image

#3 GracieM

GracieM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

1000w is plenty for your system unless you're running 10 drives.. what kind of HD setup do you have. With a system like this you might as well go the extra mile and get an SSD if you don't have on already :)

I have 2 HD's(no raid) they are barely filled. Two SATA's 1-500 GB WD; 1 TB WD. I got a good deal on the PSU...so I took it. FWIW, I have two opticals, a card reader, Asus Dx2 S/card, network card and a bunch of USB stuff hanging on. I would like to use the V8 CPU cooler. Would it be useable with the new components I've selected?

I haven't considered an SSD, but will research them. My husband does my hardware because I'm a klutz at doing hardware and I'm sure it will thrill him to death to add another drive and pull out all these components, but hey, he's gonna get my cast-offs..;-)) in his dinosaur of a PC

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Edited by GracieM, 11 May 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Unfortunately, the CM V8 cooler is not compatible with LGA2011.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,281 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

I second the suggestion of considering a SSD for your boot drive...regular hard drives are fine for storage, IMO.

I think that the basic fact that we have a known history of the problems with a mechanical/electric hard drive...allows us to see the advantages of a O/S partition/drive...with no moving parts. The preference for hard drives...should now slowly be supplanted by a preference for SSDs as a boot drive/partition.

When the prices come down and capacities increase...that would be the time to consider SSDs as a storage replacement, IMO.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 May 2012 - 04:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users