Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD audio is distorted

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 reedncg

reedncg

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:31 AM

My system is a Dell Dimension 3000 running XP Home Edition SP3. Some time ago I purchased and installed a DVD player that was supposed to be compatible with my system. (I/O Magic 22x) Once installed, it would play the video portion of a DVD fine but the audio was distorted or chopped. You can understand most of the audio but you can hear the distortion. I sent this unit back and ordered the specific DVD player from DELL for my system. Once installed, it had the same problem. Also has distortion when playing a CD. My CD player works fine so I don't think it is an audio card problem. The DVD player I purchased from DELL has "Super Write master Speed plus" on the front cover. At one time, I believe I read something about having too low of a DMA priority but I could never find out how to change it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Ed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 reedncg

reedncg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:23 AM

Well I solved my problem. Found that my DVD player was connected as a secondary slave drive and stuck in PIO rather than DMA data transfer mode. Found BIOS was set to OFF rather than AUTO for this drive and changed it to AUTO. Drive works fine now and shows that it is in DMA data transfer mode. Thanks, Ed

Edited by reedncg, 13 May 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for informing us...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users