Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random clicking soundbite

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 razzix

razzix

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:14 PM

Hi there,

I have a problem that has me pretty stumped. As I use my laptop throughout the day I hear random clicking noises. Not like the click of death associated with hard drive failures but like a soundbite (definitely coming from the speakers). It is distinct from any windows sounds (not a stock sound). There seems to be no event that causes the sound as it happens with browsers opened/closed - in the middle of games - movies - it is completely random. Besides it being fairly annoying I notice no other issues. No erroneous pop-ups or system hangups and no errors. After I determined that I was not going nuts I ran through everything I could think of to try and rectify. Malware bytes - spybot search and destroy - full scan from Microsoft security essentials. Little blips here and there were resolved but nothing major. Clicking noises persist. Boot to safe mode and run the same. Still no dice, I keep getting the random clicking noises (with no hits to under spybot/Malwarebytes/MSE). If it helps any sometimes Microsoft security essentials does not appear to load on startup and there was an incident not too long ago where windows key tied to the laptop disappeared. Had to re-enter and reactivat but at the time that was thought to be an issue with migrating from AVG to MSE. For the life of my I cannot think of what this could be :(

Windows 7 Home premium 64bit

I would appreciate any help you guys can give.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:40 PM

It might be interfeerences caused by a cellphone or some frequencies of sounds, or an improperly grounded sound jack.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#3 razzix

razzix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:48 PM

It might be interfeerences caused by a cellphone or some frequencies of sounds, or an improperly grounded sound jack.

Thanks for the input! I had considered that possibility but the sound is entirely too "animated" if that makes any sense. It is definitely a sound clip. Its like if you were to click around on a flash site. A distinctive clicking but not any windows click sound and nothing like the interference you get from GSM cellphones or the like.

Edit: For the sake of science I used an USB based optical port(to eliminate interference - it still persists).

Edited by razzix, 10 May 2012 - 11:53 PM.

#4 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:31 AM

What you could do is, if you have a spare usb thumb drive laying around (4gb optimal) you can download ubuntu install it on the usb key, plug the key in and enter the boot menu (usually by hitting f2) if your computer does not automatically boot into it, and see if the problem persists from the live usb.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#5 razzix

razzix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

What you could do is, if you have a spare usb thumb drive laying around (4gb optimal) you can download ubuntu install it on the usb key, plug the key in and enter the boot menu (usually by hitting f2) if your computer does not automatically boot into it, and see if the problem persists from the live usb.

Thanks again for the additional input I appreciate it a lot! I use a Linux distro called slitaz for work sometimes (boots from sd card and runs entirely in RAM). The clicking noise does not happen under slitaz or Ubuntu(just booted from my jaunty DVD I had around had to run them both for a few hours to be sure). Just as a heads up I am noticing MSE no longer running on startup at all :( I have to start it manually with the icon on my desktop.

Edited by razzix, 11 May 2012 - 03:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users