Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video driver failed to initilize

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

It's a Dell Optiplex GX620. This was used in a medical environment and was given to me. First problem was all the security. Got that taken care (or so I think). Bought a new HDD for it. Formatted the HDD and tried to load Win XP Home Edition several times (no service packs on this retail unused pkg)

Every time it completes copying the win files and gets to the point where it should go to the XP install, instead BSOD and the error is "video driver failed to initialize". Ran the diagnostics per Dell's instructions by pressing the F12 key and it reports no hardware problems.

I don't know what to do at this point. Since I cannot get into dos or windows, how to I try to reload the video driver? Or could there be another error.

I did have to replace the CMOS battery, and did change the boot sequence to boot off the CD drive. There is no floppy drive on this system. Am planning on giving it to a young man who is trying to start his own business in car repair and really doesn't have the money to afford a new computer. I thought if I could make this workable it would be one less headache for him.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(The good news, since this boards help with my desktop 2 years ago it has been working flawlessly!)

TryN

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

Hi -
A few brief questions -
Are you trying to install the same O/System that was previously installed, as I am sure it would not be XP Home ? (tried to load Win XP Home Edition)

Are you sure all the Security issues are fully removed ? This can prevent access to Safe Mode, as well as Normal mode

"how to I try to reload the video driver?"
I think you would need to access via Safe Mode or "Last Best Known Configuration", F8 as the system is about to start -

Just a few ideas to ponder -

#3 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

Well from a security standpoint.

Removed the chassis intrusion lock
Removed the password jumper, replaced
CMOS battery was shot, so replaced that with a new one

The above were all listed in Dell's instructions regarding the password protection and chassis intrusion lock

It's brand new Western Digital 80GB HDD, replacing the old one which was 80GB

The original OS was Dell's OEM XP Professional. The computer was new in 2005 and run on a secure network system. No outside access to the internet capabilities were installed, only to the medical professional network.

I do not have Dell OEM XP professional discs so I didn't think downgrading to XP Home Edition should be a problem since I bought that years ago and never used it.

I can't get into safe mode or roll back as nothing is installed on the hard drive. It's an endless loop of BSOD of Windows XP has shut down to protect your computer, Video driver failed to initialize, Stop code 0x000000B4. This happens repeatedly after several attempts trying to load and install Win XP Home Edition. Since there is no OS installed, I don't know how to fix the problem. After turning the PC back on, I can either press F1 to continue which splashes the Windows XP logo and then goes right into the BSOD or F2 to get into the BIOS and that's it.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

Video driver failed to initialize, Stop code 0x000000B4. - -
CAUSE:This problem occurs because of a conflict with the parallel port and the video c...This problem occurs because of a conflict with the parallel port and the video card, if the parallel port I/O address is set to 03BC.
This behavior may occur after you upgrade or change the drivers for the display adapter. This may be caused by damaged or incompatible display drivers.
To resolve this issue, use either of the following methods:
•Upgrade the computer's BIOS to a version that resolves the issue. For information about upgrading your computer's BIOS, please contact the computer's manufacturer.
•Insert the video adapter in expansion slot 0 (the first PCI slot on the motherboard) until a BIOS revision that resolves the issue is available.

All that I can offer (from M/soft) -

#5 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

Yes, I have read and google for answers too. There is no setting in the BIOS for the port of 03BC that I can find. When you search on this problem you get info on what you've said about the ports, video card being no good, and driver being corrupt.

As far as upgrading the BIOS or video driver, I would love to. But how can I do that if I cannot get to a C: prompt or something that will allow me to install. That's my problem, I might be able to do the things you suggested, but without getting into Windows or to a C: prompt, I don't know how to install the latest BIOS version (which is available on the Dell website as is the latest Video driver)

How do I install if I can't get anywhere???? I know enough to install and fix easy problems but have never run into this before.

Dell is of no help unless you want to pay them an arm and a leg. The most they would do for free is have you run the hardware diagnostics. The video is on the MOB. I do not have another video card laying around.

Any other suggestions??

#6 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:18 AM

If this helps any, here are the full stop codes I am getting.

Stop: 0x000000B4 ( 0x8605CDF8, 0x86059000, 0x86058000, 0x00050000 )

Thank you for any help you may be able to offer.

TryN

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:41 AM

Dell's versions of Windows...are not designed these days to be universally applicable to any system. It seems that you have an XP Home disk from a different system.

IMO, the simplest thing to do would be to contact Dell and see if they can send you recovery/restore-to-factory-defaults disks for either O/S.

If you are not referring to a Dell version of Windows...and actually have either an OEM/System Builder or retail version of XP Home...the first thing I would do is check the hard drive (I Know, you say that you've done that).

XP Drivers, Optiplex GX620

Louis

#8 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Louis,
WOW, didn't think that it wouldn't accept a retail version of Windows OS. Guess I will contact Dell again. But, I don't know what good a recovery disk will do me as this is a brand new HDD with no system on it. I suppose I could put the old disc back in and try a factory restore from that.

And you are correct. I have tried loading both a retail package of Windows XP Home Edition and an OEM builders package.

What makes me mad is that none of these manufacturers supply the OS anymore and if you want it on disc, you have to pay extra. Should that be included in the original cost of the equipment???

Oh well, guess I'm just very frustrated as I've never run into this problem before and have used builder OEM package before on Dell systems and not had any issues. When I did have the issue, I decided to go ahead and try and load a full retail version of the OS. Don't know why this would cause the problem. :(

Thank you!

#9 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

Here's the Dell site for that specific model which might help: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx620/en/ug/A02/dindex.htm

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

Using a MS System Builders package and a retail version of XP...that would tend to make me suspect the hard drive as a problem.

You are sure that the hard drive has no partitions on it when you attempt the install?

The default Windows drivers should work until the system boots...once the desktop comes up, you should be able to install the Dell drivers for more video options.

Also...be sure to install the chipset driver (the one which says Dell, not the other) available at the download page I linked to previously.

Louis

#11 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

I will try again as I think I left the partition on the drive. I have tried to install on both the old drive and the new drive with the same results!

I'll go back and try again.

I have been on the Dell Support site and know where all the drivers and such are, but have to get the system to boot so that I can then reload Dell specific drives and the like.

Thanks, will give it a try and let you all know.

#12 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:55 PM

OK, still no joy!

Contacted Dell for a recovery disc and they are not allowed to send it as the computer is out of warranty.

Tried to reformat the hard drive and reload with OEM version Windows XP Home Edition. No luck as I am still stuck in an endless loop of blue screen with the only choice to enter the BIOS. The VGA setting is set to Auto (which is factory default)

There is a newer version BIOS and I am wondering if this would be the way to go. The Dell diagnostics that ran states that all hardware is okay and working properly.

But I am continuing to get the same BSOD that the video driver failed to initialize.

How would I load a new BIOS version from Dell if I can't get to a dos prompt or windows screen??? Anyone? I could really use some help here.

Thanks in advance.
TryN

#13 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:25 AM

How would I load a new BIOS version from Dell if I can't get to a dos prompt or windows screen??? Anyone? I could really use some help here.

You don't need to. Just create a BIOS Flash file on a floppy diskette, insert it in the machine and reboot (make sure Floppy Drive is first boot device in the BIOS first).

Alternatively, disable the onboard video and insert a video card. The motherboard has PCI-e slot, but don't buy anything fancy because the PSU in the machine is only 280W.

The only thing which might stand in your way is the fact that there's a TPM chip on the motherboard. I don't know to what degree that would interfere with installing new components. It may the reason you're getting that error message even though Dell diags tells you the h/w is OK. You have to bear in mind that these machines are intended for use by businesses, academic institutions and the like. It's not intended to be a consumer PC.

#14 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:59 AM

This machine was installed as part of a medical institution enterprise. It would only allow the user to tie into the medical intranet and they were highly secure systems. When they decided to upgrade by purchasing all new computers, the users of the existing PCs were told they could have them.

So now we know that is exactly the case. However, up to the time that I received the system, everything worked as it should. When I first got it, it would turn on and immediately start looking for the internet connection to the medical group. After getting past that it would work fine as a standard PC, but you could not load anything, upgrade any software or connect to the internet like a standard consumer PC.

So I removed the Password protect and intrusion switch from the system. Purchased a new hard drive and figured I could just install a new OS. That is were I am not stuck with this message regarding the video driver not initializing. So your point of it having the TPM chip sounds like that might be the issue. Short of buying a new motherboard, is there a solution if indeed this thing has that TPM chip?

Dell has been really of no help and all they would do is quote a new motherboard at the cost of over $250. Sounds like a better way to go is to use this as a boat anchor! Sorry my frustration level is over the top with this one. Here I thought I could do something good for someone. :(

#15 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

According to Microsoft's Bug Check for your BSOD, the problem lies with the video drivers. That would concur with your XP installation on a new hard drive since they wouldn't be on the CD.

However, the system should still load a generic VGA driver.

Can you get into Safe Mode? Here are instructions if you can: Error 'Stop 0x000000B4 the Video Driver Failed to Initialize' It's for an HP machine, but the troubleshooting steps are the same.

Do you have the "Dell Drivers and Utilities" disc? The video drivers will most likely be on that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users