Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Profiles Corrupted

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mixttime

mixttime

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

So yesterday I was trying to update Java and had no success. After deciding I was doing more harm than good I used a system restore from about a week ago. When I logged back on, my desktop was set back to defaults like I had just made a new profile and it popped up a notification that I was in a temporary account and all my data would be lost when I log off. After resetting to find that it wasn't a fluke, I made a second account named "Temp" and used it to backup, delete, and recreate my original profile "Tim". Problem being that when I went into C:\Users to try and put the files back, I found it like this

Attached File  User Profile.png   127.56KB   10 downloads

For fear of messing things up too badly, I've opted to ask here rather than push forward. Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

I made a second account named "Temp" and used it to backup, delete, and recreate my original profile "Tim".

I'm not sure why TIM folder looks like a shortcut.Modified date of TIM folder is 2/3/2012. Did you delete the old one and create a new TIM account?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

Fix a corrupted user profile, Win 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Louis

#4 mixttime

mixttime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

I made a second account named "Temp" and used it to backup, delete, and recreate my original profile "Tim".

I'm not sure why TIM folder looks like a shortcut.Modified date of TIM folder is 2/3/2012. Did you delete the old one and create a new TIM account?

Note that it only looks like a shortcut, it does indeed open to "C:\Users\Tim"

This whole thing confuses me. Why does the temp account have 5 redundancies when I had made that account perhaps an hour before I made the thread?

Fix a corrupted user profile, Win 7 - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Louis

That is essentially what I was trying to do in the first place. Just that I didn't know about the files that I shouldn't copy, and I didn't think that the outside account could be used as the replacement account, so after removing the original "Tim" I made a third account also named "Tim" to ultimately take it's place.

Since I have all the files I want on my D: drive, is there any reason not to activate the Admin account and nuke all the other accounts (through the control panel first, and then manually delete what remains), in order to just start over like that?

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

This whole thing confuses me. Why does the temp account have 5 redundancies when I had made that account perhaps an hour before I made the thread?

Actually the Temporary folders have been created when you logged into TIM.Now if you're migrating the files,then you need to copy the files from TEMP folder (except for ntuser files) paste it in TIM folder

Since I have all the files I want on my D: drive, is there any reason not to activate the Admin account and nuke all the other accounts (through the control panel first, and then manually delete what remains), in order to just start over like that?

This would be better

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:31 PM

As a last ditch effort before reformatting, you could try Reprofiler; no installation needed. Read the reprofiler.htm file for a "how to."

I have not used this program myself but would be interested in knowing if it was useful.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 mixttime

mixttime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:48 PM

As a last ditch effort before reformatting, you could try Reprofiler; no installation needed. Read the reprofiler.htm file for a "how to."

I have not used this program myself but would be interested in knowing if it was useful.

That would be a great tool for a basic version of this job (again, what I was trying to do before I found the state of the user profiles) But all this would allow is for me to make the user profile associate with the "Tim" folder rather than the "Tim.TimLaptop" folder.

If I was convinced that the folders were the only problem I would likely just maerge them down, but I don't want other issues cropping up later. I'll nuke the profiles and give the results later.

#8 mixttime

mixttime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

Excuse the double post if people on this forum care.

The removal and reapplication of the profiles was unsuccessful. Any attempt to make a new profile results in the two folders ("UserName" and "UserName.MachineName"), though it seems to have stopped making more than that and numbering them. I even went as far as to try and remove the profiles from the registry (which I much prefer to never touch). Looks like I'm just going to have to deal with it until I've got enough money to be comfortable dishing out $50 to Asus for their recovery disks.

What happened to the days that getting the Install CD was a given? I guess all the OEM license stuff makes more business sense, but it makes this into a pain.

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:40 AM

mixttime,

If the computer has a recovery partition on the hard drive, you should be able to access it for recovery: http://support.asus.com/Search/KDetail.aspx?SLanguage=en&no=1775&t=1

Regards,
Brooks

#10 mixttime

mixttime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

I forgot about that, I did find the recovery partition when I was working on installing a SSD. It is still there but F9 doesn't open it, the system just says to insert bootable media and press any key.

I did move it to the new drive though, so maybe it wasn't fond of the move. Or perhaps it is particular about the physical location as it is now in Disk 1 instead of Disk 0. But that is a rather specific issue that I don't expect anyone here to be able to solve. I'll contact Asus on that. That should work though, seeing as I still have it's exact image. I just need to make the BIOS see it for what it is.

Who would have thought a Java update would lead to all this? http://xkcd.com/349/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users