Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing NVIDIA Driver Causes BSOD

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

I got the bright idea a few weeks ago (after the computer crashed when watching youtube videos) to update the video card driver. The graphics are built into the motherboard on this Sony Vaio laptop (VGN-FE790P), so if the car is failing, it's not replaceable. I'm not yet convinced that the video card IS failing, since I have read other problems can cause similar symptoms.

After going to Sony's website and downloading the driver they list for the display adapter, a NVIDIA GEFORCE GO, when I reboot, the computer seems to boot normally and I get in Windows for a few minutes, then it crashes. Then it keeps restarting itself (endlessly), with the BSOD mixed in the Vaio and Windows logos that come up on the screen between. The blue screen says something about a page fault (it disppears before I can read it through).

I thought maybe I was not installing the driver correctly, so researched that. I read to make sure to remove all old drivers, and make sure you are installing the new driver 'clean'.

So I ran a file search using search string "NVIDIA" and I deleted all the files that came up. Just before I did that, I had right clicked on 'NVIDIA GEFORCE GO' in device manager, and 'removed' it. I then used CC Cleaner to the registry.

Then I downloaded a fresh copy of the driver that is on Sony's website as the one to be used on my computer. I ran it. I got a message that 'new hardware has been installed' and was told to restart.

Exactly the same problem showed up -- Looping through restarts and finally ending in a blue screen of death, which eventually takes me to the page for booting in safe mode.

In short, every single time I install this driver for the display adapter, the computer will not start Windows in normal mode.

So in safe mode, I went in again to Device Mgr. and 'disabled' NVIDIA GEFORCE GO under 'display adapter'. Or course I could then log on to Windows normally -- no more crashes.

So the system is stabilized somewhat, but the fonts are not crisp, the photos are degraded (but still pefectly viewable) and if I do anything that pulls on system resources (like scan the hard drive) I see faint flickering horizontal lines in the background of places like the browser's menu bar or whatever application I have open at the time (notepad, or a pop-up screen). Right now, as I type this, there is no flickering at all.

Is it possible the driver on Sony's website is corrupt? I can't figure out why the driver they specify for this module causes the BSOD. Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.

(Sony VGN FE790P (Windows XP, Security Pack 3). The computer is current on Windows Updates and Microsoft Security Essentials and SAS and other scans do not find Malware.)

Edited by Anonix, 11 May 2012 - 12:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users