Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice sought on Os, partions, back ups and images

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PCCom

PCCom

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:52 PM

Hi,

I keep changing my mind about this stuff:

Let's say
320gb hdd
Win7 Home Prem 64 bit
Making an image after all programs and updates are installed saving that to a separate partition most likely using Gimagex (looks like a neat tool)

Would you make it 3 Partitions OS Data Recovery or just 2 OS and Recovery
And what size would you make the partitions keep in mind this would be for resale shipped with a Win 7 Recovery disc to access the image and a Win7 Install disc
all on laptop with legitimate COA.

I just did one with a 50gb recovery/backup partition and the rest for the OS and I'm not feeling real confident in my decision.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :thumbsup2:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:45 PM

I would recommend a modest-sized (60GB or so) system volume, a recovery volume of sufficient size to contain everything a recovery volume requires, and a data volume encompassing the remainder of the disk. This protects the user's files from peril should the recovery partition need to be employed. I would go so far as to advise moving the user libraries (Documents, Pictures, Videos, etc.) from their default locations on the system volume, to new locations on the more spacious data volume.

This emulates to a great extent a common practice on many Unix-like systems wherein the entire /home directory (where users store their personal files) is in reality a self-contained volume or physical disk which can be preserved (and transferred) between operating system versions and other destructive upgrades/failures.

#3 PCCom

PCCom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

Andrew,
Thank you. I was thinking along the same lines and appreciate your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users