Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer won't boot! Malware-related?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 merkman

merkman

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

I use ZoneAlarm's free firewall on my netbook...have for years. Last night a Zone Alarm window popped up that, if I recall correctly, mentioned something about updating to the latest version or download a free trial of the full version...something like that. After a long download of a 75MB file, it started scanning my system during set up. I suddenly noticed that it said "Your Computer is Infected" which struck me as VERY odd. 1) it's a firewall, not virus or malware removal 2) my computer hadn't been experiencing any questionable behavior to suggest any kind of infection.

The whole thing made me nervous so I tried to kill the process. Suddenly I started getting all sorts of error messasges in Windows of various windows components or services not being available...I couldn't even open Task Manager! So I held down the power key and did a hard shutdown.

Upon rebooting, Windows would no longer fully load. I get to the desktop screen where all my icons SHOULD start popping up and loading but it never happens...just hangs with only the wallpaper visible. I can access the task manager and Explorer is running. I've tried killing Explorer and re-booting it, but that didn't change anything. I've also completed a System Restore with no luck.

If I boot the computer up in Safe Mode, it loads just fine, HOWEVER--and I found this particular unusual--if I try to boot in Safe Mode with Networking I get the same hanging upon loading the desktop.

I've done a MalwareBytes and Spybot scan--nothing. Not sure if I'm victim of a really good scam or if my hard shutdown during and install corrupted something somewhere.

Please help!

Edited by merkman, 10 May 2012 - 09:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:26 PM

As you have now posted in Malware Removal forum, I will ask for this thread to be closed -

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

The other topic is here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic453188.html

To avoid confusion I will close this one.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users