Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot format Western Digital HDD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CainyG

CainyG

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:41 AM

I have a Dell Studio Desktop 540 running Windows 7 Home Premium. Recently, I bought a Western Digital WD Caviar SE HDD, model WD5000AAJS-57YFA2 (SATA) off of Craiglist. It was cheap and I thought I would use it as an internal backup drive to my Seagate. I was able to install the drive into the tower with no problems. However, upon boot up my Seagate HDD with the OS was very slow and when it finally finished it would just flash a screen with the following information pertaining to the WD secondary HDD: AMERICAN MEGATRENDS INC. V 2.61. The system would then finish booting into my Windows 7 OS. I went to My Computer/R Click/Manage and could not find the WD HDD within Device Manager or Storage Devices so I could not format the WD HDD for use. I then disconnected the Seagate HDD and booted up the pc using the WD HDD only. This gave me a screen showing again the American Megatrends Inc v 2.61, www.ami.com. According to the information displayed it was able to find my peripheral USB drives, including the SD slot on my printer plus the keyboard and mouse. However, it stated there was an 03 HDD error and gave me the option of pressing F1 for reboot (which didn't work) or F2 for Setup. Pressing F2 took me to American Megatrends BIOS v 1996-2006. I then set up that to boot to a 3.5 floppy drive that should have put me in DOS mode and allowed me to run the disk erase software on the floppy but all I got was a screen full of purple squares. I then attempted to boot to the CD-ROM with my Windows 7 disk enclosed in an attempt to install the OS to the WD HDD. This was unsuccessful as I got the error that no drivers could be found and to insert the disk containing drivers for the install to continue. I have never tried to install a second hard drive to a pc before so I am now at a loss as how to proceed further and am afraid to attempt much more because I do not want to risk corrupting my primary HDD with the OS. I do not have another SATA capable pc to attempt install with so I could play around and try to figure out why this WD disk appears to be protected from formatting for use.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should proceed or did I buy a WD HDD paperweight?

Thanks in advance for any help. All the Best.

PS (10 May 12-1147) I wanted to add that I have researched the Western Digital website and the several downloads it has pertaining to this particular drive and I am a bit confused as to how to apply the software, or how to use it, to prepare the drive for use along side my Primary drive. Any education you can give me on that would be very helpful.

Edited by CainyG, 10 May 2012 - 10:51 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:09 AM

Hi
When you press F2 and go into the BIOS under the drives option does it see the Western Digital drive?

You may have to go to drive 2 in the drives section and turn that port on.

AMERICAN MEGATRENDS INC. V 2.61
Is the BIOS and nothing to do with the hard drive.

First thing to do is test the drive since it came from Craigslist.

From Here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic28744.html

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (Floppy)
This download makes a bootable floppy. OPTION 2: Creating a diagnostic disk from downloading the Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS.
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=9999&sid=2&lang=en

Instructions
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1082

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
This download makes a bootable CD. How to create a Data Lifeguard diagnostics bootable CD.
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=30&lang=en

With only the WD drive hooked up run the short & the long test on the drive.

Edited by rotor123, 10 May 2012 - 11:14 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 CainyG

CainyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:37 PM

Wanted to thank you for your quick response and to let you know that I will be working on this problem off and on for several days and will update as soon as I can (recovering from surgery so my abilities are a little hit and miss right now).

Although I do not have the WD drive hooked up right now and can't check I think when I was in its BIOS it found my Seagate at SATA 0 and another Hard Drive (the WD?) at SATA 4. I was also able to ESC out of the American Megatrends BIOS and got to a screen that had a lot of unintelligible data reading a lot of lines starting PB something but it would not stay visible long enough for me to figure out the information. It would then go back to the Error Page. I was able to hit Enter one time during this and I got to a DOS screen that read drive "X:/" A DIR search (X:/DIR) revealed what I have installed in my pc. Not been able to do anything else at this time but will download and test the drive per your advise. Look forward to working with you on this again real soon. Thanks.

#4 CainyG

CainyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 01:07 AM

Wanted to post that I was unable to find the WD HDD with the testing software so I have removed it and shelved the drive. Do not understand why the drive could not be found but I wasted too much time so thanks but consider this closed.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

From the model number it is an internal drive?
I have /had a sneaky suspicion that might happen.
Are you sure the drive is showing in the BIOS? It is possible that you have to turn on the SATA port the drive is hooked up to.

If it were mine I would unhook the Boot drive temporarily and hook up the Western Digital to the same cables and try running the test again. Since I don't know if you used the windows or the dos version of the test, that will require using and booting from the dos cd below.

Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for DOS (CD)
This download makes a bootable CD. How to create a Data Lifeguard diagnostics bootable CD.
http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=612&sid=30&lang=en

If it still can't be found using the known good cables and SATA port from your Boot drive then we can presume that the seller sold a dud drive.

Edited by rotor123, 17 May 2012 - 10:57 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#6 CainyG

CainyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

It is an internal drive. I did disconnect my Seagate drive and used its SATA and Power cables on the WD drive. While I could get a boot up into the WD drives BIOS my computer and the testing software was unable to find the drive. I tried both DOS (floppy) and Windows (CD/DVD) versions but no drive to test was found. I think the WD drive is a dud.

Thanks for your time and support.

Edited by CainyG, 17 May 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

Sorry it didn't turn out better.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users