Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older Toshiba laptop - fix or fling?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Crazkd2

Crazkd2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

(I hope I am in the right forum here) I have a Toshiba A105-4011 laptop that has been my personal business laptop for several years. Honestly, it has been great! However, it is really slowing down now. I run a current Norton 360 system protection on it and it says there are no viruses, so I am guessing the drive may be going? In the past, I have had success with IBM Thinkpads by wiping the drive and reloading using their 8 recovery discs. So my initial thought is to replace the drive and reload to factory spec, but I don't have a Recovery disc for it. When I go to the Toshiba site, they don't have one file to download, but they have 4 pages of drivers I can download individually and I guess put them on a disc myself?

This is no longer my primary use laptop, so it isn't critical that it gets repaired quickly. However, I would love some input regarding what the right direction to head would be. I am sure this isn't a difficult problem for most, but it seems that there are options and I am just not sure what the right (or best) options really are.

Thanks.

[Moderator edit: moved to more appropriate forum. jgw]

Edited by jgweed, 10 May 2012 - 07:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Worth a look, http://www.ehow.com/how_6941162_restore-disk-toshiba-satellite-a105.html .

Louis

#3 PCCom

PCCom

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

Hi,

Fix or fling always comes down to what it's worth to you. You can get recovery disc's from Toshiba for 30-50 dollars (depends on where you are located) and just start from scratch.
If you want to get a new hdd you'll still need the recovery disc's hence the price goes up. I'd just save the money for now and just use the existing hdd.
If you brought it to a shop they'd need to be able to see the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) and be able to read the product key to install the OS. I've noticed alot of laptops with the COA sticker removed or too worn out to read. If you don't have recovery disc or a legible COA please don't let one of these Pro's install a pirated version of your OS.

Just my 2 cents worth

If Louis's suggestion works by all means do that first. I was thinking that a Toshiba that old wouldn't have a recovery partition.

Edited by PCCom, 10 May 2012 - 01:33 PM.

#4 Crazkd2

Crazkd2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

Thank you both for your suggestions. I will give Louis' suggestion a try. If that doesn't work then perhaps a call to Toshiba for the disc is appropriate. It has been a good computer, given all that I have had it do over the years. If I can get it refreshed and add some time to it for $50, I am still ahead.

Oh, and sorry for posting in the wrong forum initially. I will try to choose better next time. :-)

#5 waterslaw

waterslaw

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:00 AM

In case you haven't done anything drastic yet may I suggest you try,
Check the hard drive condition with "Speedfan". It is a free download and will check out the hard drive along with giving you the temperatures of the hard drive and processors, one or two or what ever.
It is free to download and serves me well, since laptops get warm easily. Here is a link to version 4.46
http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

As for slowing down, Norton is famous for slowing things down because it works so hard and constantly.
I might suggest Free "AVG" or MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials). Both are free to download or you can pay for a Complete version of AVG. I always read good reports on both.

If you think you need to clean out all the cobwebs and left over little stuff you can try "Ccleaner", also free and it gets rid of those pesky left overs at the end of the day. I use it daily.

If after all these cleaning thinks your laptop is still acting up, then it is indeed time to say RIP.
Hope this helps.

Link to Ccleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

PS, If you are going to remove Norton you might try free "Revouninstaller". Shows all your installed programs and removes little tiny registry left overs.Works wonders.
Link, http://www.revouninstaller.com/
Link to basic AVG Free http://www.avg.com/us-en/free-antivirus-download

Edited by waterslaw, 12 May 2012 - 10:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users