Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer completely failed - wont start at all

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 stgough

stgough

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

Hi there,

I am afraid I am pretty illiterate when it comes to computers, but will do my best to describe the problem because I would really appreciate your help!

My computer began to run really slowly, and IE8 kept opening random pages. I downloaded mcafee and did a quick scan and it identified two viruses, both .dll files (I have written them down, but dont have them with me at work here so will add later). It said one had been quarantied and the other would be reviewed on a restart. I began backing up my files to an external hardrive, and started to run a full scan in the background - two days later and both the transfer and the virus scan were still running.

I went to bed, and woke up to find a grey screen on my computer that described itself something like windows error fix (I will try again, and again, add the exact desrcription), which just kept failing and doing nothing. This comes up immediately after the first windows screen with the bar on the bottom where you have the option to press F2 or F12 (I think) right at the beginning of the load process, and before you have to put in a username or password.

I have been unable to get past that screen and dont know what to do now! My computer has lots of precious photos on that I don't want to lose - I did some research on the dll files and the pages I looked at suggested that it gets into your root directory and replaces a bunch of files, so deleting them would mean that re-starting wont be possible until the original files are replaced. I can only think that mcafee deleted some of the virus files, and then did an automatic re-start, which has screwed me!

Any help would be gratefully received - I have a work laptop, which I can use at home to follow the thread and instructions while I work on the PC.

Let me know if you need any more information in advance, but I may not know much!

thanks again

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:36 PM

Good evening. :)

I can only think that mcafee deleted some of the virus files, and then did an automatic re-start, which has screwed me!

That's possible.

The most important thing is to get your files backed up and then we'll worry about the PC after that.

Do you have the ability to burn a disk with your work PC? What we'll do is boot the PC using an alternative operating system and hopefully, if you connect your external drive to it, you will be able to transfer the files to it and Bob's your Auntie's husband. If that doesn't work, and I suspect that a driver issue may cause this to fail (but it costs nothing to try), you'll need to get hold of a flashdrive to transfer the files from the poorly PC.
You'll then need to connect the external drive to your work PC, and keep moving the flashdrive back and forth until all the files you want saving have been rescued.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

#3 stgough

stgough
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

Hi there - thanks for the post.

I have found a windows vista CD, and put it in and pressed f12 on the start up - i clicked through to boot windows from the CD, but rather than just boot it, it now asks if I want to install windows. If I do, will I lose my files, or will that give me an opportunity to get in and back them up? (the other option it gives is to "repair your computer"

Sounds simple, and apologies if an obvious question, but I really dont want to lose those files!

If it helps at all, the two dll files were at:

c:\windowssystem32\consrv.dll
c:\windowssystem32\nvrd64.dll

any help appreciated.

tks

Steve

#4 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

Does that mean you don't have the ability to burn a disk or have access to a flashdrive?

#5 stgough

stgough
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:55 PM

I can't burn a disc because my work laptop doesn't have a CDR/CDRW drive, but I can get hold of some relatively small memory sticks if it is just case of file transfering...

does the windows CD option not help?

#6 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

Good evening. :)

does the windows CD option not help?

Hopefully, but I would have preferred to have your data backed up first. In theory there should be no risk to your data if you simply try and repair the system automatically or use System restore to correct things. This linky helpfully explains what you need to do to repair Windows using the disk you have.

If you have any further questions about the repair procedures I suggest you start a new thread in this part of the forum where the Vista geeks hang out - I never had the pleasure of using Vista, so there isn't much I can tell you from personal experience.

#7 Noviciate

Noviciate

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,277 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

As this issue appears to have been resolved, this thread is now closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users