Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp And System Lock Up

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Inkpen

Inkpen

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:07 AM

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone can help. My computer has became increasingly unstable. When I say this I mean it has a tendency to freeze, lock up and reboot.

The problem is... well the problems are when you go into Internet Explorer or Firefox, the computer freezes when there is an image on screen. To get to unfreeze I can press ctrl-alt-del, this only helps for a short time as when it freezes again the motherboard beeps and the only way to get the computer working is to hit reboot on the base.

The other problem is when you exit IE or FF the computer completely locks up and the motherboard beeps and I have to hit reboot on the base once again. Even the keyboard stops responding so ctrl-alt-del is not possible.

At first I thought it was a graphical problem so I uninstalled all the drivers and that didn't stop the problem. I even replaced my GFX card, and took out the memory to see if it was faulty but that didn't stop the problem either. I've tried uninstalling the drivers for the printer, scanner, GFX card and sound card but to no avail.

It had even stopped my anti-virus software (pccillin2002) from updating on the net.

The only thing I can think that is buggering it up is that I have a ancient monitor CTX 1451, so old that you can't get any drivers for it now. After a while it lets out this high pitched squeal, if you hit it it goes away only to come back after a while. I don't know if a monitor could screw a computer up so much, but at the moment it seems like the only thing it could be.

I decided to face facts that it wasn't going to go away, so I formatted my whole computer, thinking that the problem would go away. I reinstalled XP and lo and behold!.... it worked! but for only a day or two until exactly the same problems came back. I mean the same problems, exactly the same. How is this possible? Why? What would cause the same problems to come back?

Also, I had accidently found out that just before (about 10-15 seconds) before the computer locks up, the CPU usage goes through the roof. It usually hovers around 2-4% when i'm on the net, but just before it freezes it shoots upto 100% and goes bizarre around 70% to 100%, then it locks up.

I'm risking a reboot even as I write this as when I quit IE it will freeze.

So can anyone help me with this? I am getting very frustrated with it now and i'm in need of help.

The specs for my computer are:

AMD AthlonXP 3000+
1GB PC3200 Crucial DDR (512 x2, dual channel)
80GB HDD
Onboard sound
Sparkle Geforce 6600GT 128mb DDR
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users