Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Itunes funked up my laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Trouthound

Trouthound

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:26 AM

My kid installed i-tunes on my old Dell laptap running windows xp. Apparently i-tunes had some problem, and a file it needs or the registry has been corrupted or something. Booting the machine normally yields the normal log in screen, but once you enter your password, windows loads the background but never the rest of the desktop. There is a small box open that says "personalized settings" but its blank inside and you can't click on it or anything. Hitting the windows button does nothing, nor does escape, but ctrl alt delete opens up the task manager feature that at least enables you to restart. Going into Safe Mode is no help. Once you are past the log in screen, windows never fully boots. An error message shows a "MobileDeviceService" crash. I tried the system restore mode in safe mode and system restore errored as well as windows explorer. Now in safe mode, once it boots, it just goes straight to the "windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close" error message. when it restarts windows explorer crashes again in an endless loop.

Obviously i-tunes needs to be uninstalled and there are some registry errors. But without access to at least safe mode, that is impossible. Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:04 AM

Hi -
I would first check if your kids have set any sort of password on the computer -
Either that or they may have downloaded an infection -

Thanks -

Edited by noknojon, 10 May 2012 - 06:52 AM.

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:28 AM

but ctrl alt delete opens up the task manager feature that at least enables you to restart.

Launch task manager

Click on FILE-NEW TASK and type

MSCONFIG and click ok

Check mark SELECTIVE STARTUP

Uncheck LOAD STARTUP ITEMS

Click on services tab,

check mark HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES

& then click on DISABLE ALL

click ok,restart the PC in normal mode.See if that helps you to boot normally.

good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users