Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to infect a webmail account?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 helpmeplz2

helpmeplz2

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hi, let's say I logged into my yahoo mail account on an infected computer, is it possible for it to infect my yahoo webmail account?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Knight_of_BAAWA

Knight_of_BAAWA

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

If there's a keylogger or other password stealer someone could get your password and use your account. But otherwise: no, it is not possible to "infect your account". It's on someone else's server.

#3 helpmeplz2

helpmeplz2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

If there's a keylogger or other password stealer someone could get your password and use your account. But otherwise: no, it is not possible to "infect your account". It's on someone else's server.

I know that, but I was really wondering if it was possible to "infect" the account with a script or something and then when I log in to it on another computer, it could infect that one.

#4 helpmeplz2

helpmeplz2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:07 AM

bump

#5 helpmeplz2

helpmeplz2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:13 AM

So are you absolutely certain it is impossible to infect a webmail account?

#6 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

It's not impossible, but highly unlikely since you're the only user with access to it.

Hackers tend to target ordinary sites to catch as many victims as possible rather than targeting individual users via their email accounts.

#7 helpmeplz2

helpmeplz2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

It's not impossible, but highly unlikely since you're the only user with access to it.

Hackers tend to target ordinary sites to catch as many victims as possible rather than targeting individual users via their email accounts.

Well I did log in to it on an infected computer once, that is why I was asking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users