Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card not detected after windows update

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jrobinson7722

jrobinson7722

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:16 PM

Computer info

XPS/Dimension XPS Gen 2

Windows XP professional

Processor Intel pentium4 3.20GHz

2046MB of ram

Video card ATI radion HD 2400 pro

I Noticed windows doing a automatic update last night as i was going to sleep. I should have stopped it because in my experiance they cause nothing but trouble but....i let it go and low and behold i wake up this morning and start my computer and it is runnning off the onboard graphics. i have tried uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling but with no success and when i run dxdiag my card does not even show up same with device manager..I have also tried taking out and replacing the card from the computer and it is getting power the fan is running just fine i do not think this is a problem with my graphics card..After doing some google research i have noticed quite a few people having this problem but with no real solution so i was hoping you guys could help figure this out.. thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

my card does not even show up same with device manager

Hello -
Do you mean that there is nothing listed in Device Manager for Graphics / Video card and you cannot find device manager ? ?
Have you attempted to do a System Restore to 2 days ago and see if this solves the problem ? ?

If that will not solve the problem, Please post a snapshot with Speccy, so we can check it is listed -
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy =<< Directions

Thank You -
EDIT -
Can you please link to any of these problems, as I have not had any such problems (12 XP updates and 20 Windows7 updates all went well here)

Edited by noknojon, 09 May 2012 - 08:43 PM.

#3 jrobinson7722

jrobinson7722
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

yes i have tried 4 different restore points and that does not fix anything. As for posting a pic i am currently using my laptop and it will be quite a task to download and and install that program at the moment on the desktop because with no video card it is the slowest computer i have ever tried to use.. i think i can just tell you want u need to know....When i type dxdiag in "run" and go to the display tab under the device part manufactuer, chip type, DAC type, and Aproxx. Total Memory is all listed as "n/a" and my main driver is currently vga.dll wich i beleive is the dell onboard video driver

#4 jrobinson7722

jrobinson7722
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/eiQA175DXWF8DXsheWF2bzu

yes i know my mother board is running very hot right now has been for the past week i have a new heat sync on the way.but that should not be what is causing my problem

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

WOW - You are right about the heating -
Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp. 0U2424 (Microprocessor): 81 °C
This is enough to cause many of your problems at the moment, and is not related to M/soft updates, just your internal system.
Personally I would not use this unit for the moment, and wait to get the new Heat sink and reduce that temperature to about 50 °C or less

Video card ATI radion HD 2400 pro - This is not shown anywhere ? ?
A link to Your Systems General Specs
Optical Drives: No optical disk drives detected ? Have you disconnected this ?

For any updates always visit the Dell official site -

Antivirus: EnabledCompany Name: GRISOFTDisplay Name: AVG 7.5.446Product Version: 7.5.446
Was McAfee ever your Antivirus of choice ? If not, there are still a few traces shown there, but you have AVG as your main A/virus -
Run this McAfee Removal Tool to clean out the remains of the program -

Just a few starters -
EDIT -
Path: c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exeMemory Usage: 3.98 MBPeak Memory Usage: 34 MB
Just another listing of McAfee being installed - Also listed as Running McAfee as below -
Running: McAfee Firewall Core Service
Running: McAfee Network Agent
Running: McAfee Proxy Service
Running: McAfee Services
Running: McAfee SiteAdvisor Service
Running: McAfee Validation Trust Protection Service
Running: McAfee VirusScan Announcer
Running: McShield

Edited by noknojon, 09 May 2012 - 10:57 PM.

#6 jrobinson7722

jrobinson7722
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

yes the ATI radeon HD 2400 was bought about 5 years ago or so i dont realy know the original one stopped working..and yes i am going to wait for a new heat sink but do you think my video card is ok? it does still have power fan is going.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:36 AM

Hi -
Personally, I cannot tell with that fried M/board, and so I asked others to view this for me -

Thank You -

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,296 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:22 AM

Per http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_4/Intel-Pentium%204%20541%203.2%20GHz%20-%20JM80547PG0881MM%20-%20HH80547PG0881MM%20(BX80547PG3200EK).html , you have a serious overheating problem.

That issue has to be your first priority, IMO.

Louis

#9 98_ANGRY_HIPPOS

98_ANGRY_HIPPOS

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

I had the same excact problem with my graphics card (radion hd 2400 pro) I think it might just be the graphics card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users