Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSODs - Most likely a hardware issue

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

Hello,

I originally posted this problem in the "Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs" board seen here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic452408.html and was told, "The logs are clear and I believe that your problems are hardware and not malware. Post on the hardware forum here and get some help from the members there." So here I am.

As stated in that thread:

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:26 AM
My computer will give BSODs ever since I--as far as I know--accidentally pulled out the monitor cable behind the computer tower. I put it back in and all, so maybe that's not the cause, I just don't know how it started. But if a HiJack This log tells you what you need to know to help me, I've attached it. (seen in other thread, but cleared by someone) I don't want to give you any erroneous info, I just want the BSODs to end so I can actually use my computer for more than 5 minutes before it gets another BSOD. (which is what happens anytime I'm not in Safe Mode) I'd like this handled ASAP, as soon as someone can. Thanks!

EDIT:
I don't want to mislead anyone with any BSODs that -may- not matter, but in case it helps in conjunction with the attached HiJackThis log, examples of BSODs stop errors and mentioned filenames I got include:
The driver is mismanaging system PTEs. (I uninstalled and manually reinstalled the latest NVIDIA graphics driver as a result of this BSOD)
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
tcpip.sys
REFERENCE BY POINTER
rr172x.sys

And new stop messages since then, in order of occurence:
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS
Unhandled exception in a registry filtering driver
Mpfilter.sys
intelppm.sys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#3 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

This was the third time BlueScreenView was suggested to me, but it never shows any BSODs. The windows are just white and blank. If there's a way to make results show there, I can do that. :)

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

OK...let's try this:).

Search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp. You do that by...Start/Search...click All Files/Folders...use *.dmp for search string, after ensuring that search criteria includes all system and hidden files.

Your .dmp files should be in C:\Windows\Minidump folder (also written as %SystemRoot%\Minidump folder). If you have them and they are not in that folder, drag or cut-and-paste existing files to that folder.

Louis

#5 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:37 PM

I'm using the computer in Safe Mode right now to talk to you. Unfortunately there are no .dmp's on the computer, nor is there a C:\Windows\Minidump directory. If it helps, I remember going through these same suggestions at least a couple times in the past for whatever issues I've had before and came to this forum to deal with, unrelated to this occurrence. For whatever reason, my computer just doesn't create and -has- never created crash dumps. Whenever I get a BSOD, several times a day these days, it always claims to be "Initializing crash dump..." but it never does, it's just frozen, which I know for sure because I even let it run overnight one time and it was simply that screen in the morning too. I assume this lack of creating crash dumps is the reason we never have .dmp files and why BlueScreenView doesn't show any stop errors. I do remember something in Control Panel showing stop errors, like a long listing of info and possible clues about the stop errors at each time they occurred in the day. I can also give you any information appearing on the stop errors themselves. I never bother to record the long numbers like 0x000... etc., though I can start doing it if it helps you because I'm so desperate to end this long ordeal. If it helps, to add to the many stop errors I shared with you before, the most recent stop errors include:
CLFS.sys
BAD_POOL_CALLER
If possible let's get to the source of the stop errors so we can eliminate the problem before this problem has been allowed to run for a full week. :)

EDIT:
Also, although I'm not a computer guru--that's why I'm here--I think that since the computer doesn't seem to ever BSOD in Safe Mode, which I'm in now, then it has to be a driver issue? I imagine that should aid us greatly. What's the best way to determine a bad driver? A BSOD mentioned running 'driver verifier' and/or enabling special pool, for instance.

Edited by andrewset, 10 May 2012 - 07:07 PM.

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:14 PM

The most pressing issue at this time is lack of free space on the Windows system drive.

From the OTL log:

Drive C: | 465.68 Gb Total Space | 22.59 Gb Free Space | 4.85% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS

The minimum free space that you should ever let your Windows system drive get down to is 15%.
  • You should aim to keep at least 25% free space.
The first thing you should do right now is delete any unnecessary personal files and transfer some of your personal files (such as music, video etc.) to another internal hard drive or to an external USB hard drive or flashdrive. Then run CCleaner to get rid of some unnecessary junk files.

Re: CCleaner
Download and install with the default settings.
  • http://majorgeeks.com/CCleaner_Slim_d4191.html
  • Do not use the registry cleaner part of CCleaner.
When you have a good amount of free space available, then do the following ...

Let's collect some more information: I'll have a look at it and help you try to resolve the problem.

:step1: Please follow the instructions: BSOD Posting Instructions: Windows 7 - Vista

(Note: When you run BSOD_Windows7_Vista_v2.64_jcgriff2_.exe, it will also run autoruns.exe ... and both need to be in the same location!)
... with one exception in the following line:
  • "4. Zip up the entire output folder + PERFMON and attach the zip file to your next post."
The BC forums will allow a total attachment size of only 512 kb (and what you need to attach will exceed this limit). Please upload the zip file to a file sharing website of your choice and and post a link to it in this thread so that we can access your uploaded zip file. I will have a look at the contained information and see if I can shed some light on your BSOD issue.

See the suggestions in the following links for recommendations on file sharing websites:
  • http://lifehacker.com/388284/best-online-file-sharing-services
  • http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/15-great-free-online-file-sharing-alternatives/
  • http://www.smashingapps.com/2008/08/28/5-best-free-file-hosting-services-to-store-your-files.html

:step2: Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.
  • It is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.

:step3: Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
  • Checkmark the following checkboxes:
    • List Installed Programs
  • Click Go.
    When the scan is finished, a text file will open in a Notepad window.
  • Copy the entire contents of the Notepad window, and paste in your reply.
    (Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.)

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#7 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:35 PM

EDIT:
... since the computer doesn't seem to ever BSOD in Safe Mode, which I'm in now, then it has to be a driver issue? I imagine that should aid us greatly. What's the best way to determine a bad driver? A BSOD mentioned running 'driver verifier' and/or enabling special pool, for instance.

You are on the right track, and that certainly offers a possible trouble-shooting opportunity.

Perform a clean boot as instructed in the following link:
How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

If you can load Windows normally, then continue with the steps provided in the link until you have determined exactly which item is causing the BSOD on normal startup.

We'll resort to using Driver Verifier later if necessary.

Edited by AustrAlien, 10 May 2012 - 07:37 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#8 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:55 PM

The logs you wanted are already posted in my first thread mentioned in my first post, right? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic452408.html I believe they were cleared by m0le in post #4?

I'll get to the other parts you mentioned ASAP. Meanwhile can I run Driver Verifier and provide useful info that way? A BSOD suggested running it, as well as possibly enabling 'special pool.' I would have ran Driver Verifier already but I was scared by the mention of "- After re-start, you may not be able to log on to normal Windows" because my Windows never finds restore points because it never finds the OS when I *can't* enter Windows *normally* (something to do with drivers needed to allow it to detect the hard drives' mirror arrays and OS contained therein? I'd rather not get into it if possible). I can only run Driver Verifier if it's safe and easy to do so, and, of course, if it helps. The computer doesn't seem to BSOD in Safe Mode which makes me wonder if the issue *is* in fact a driver instead of hardware (if those are different things). Trying to find the faulty driver ASAP.

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:33 PM

The logs you wanted are already posted in my first thread mentioned in my first post, right?

No: I have reviewed all information that you have posted (and attached) already. The information I requested is not the same: It is needed to assist me to determine what may be going on with your system, and is much more comprehensive than what has already been supplied.

Running Driver Verifier does involve taking a risk: It is easy ... but it is NOT safe (especially in your case, as you have pointed out). I advise you not to do so at this stage. DV will not necessarily provide useful information, so I suggest we use other alternatives at this early stage.

I ask that you perform the tasks that I have suggested in the order they were suggested. There are good reasons for doing so: The lack of free space may be the reason that crash dumps are not being saved, along with causing problems with the Windows OS, since it requires adequate free space to be able to operate properly.

Edit: in reply to your post #5 in the MRL forum with m0le
Irrespective of the current forum that your topic is now in, you are getting the best help available to determine what the problem really is, whether hardware-related or not. I agree that the issue does not appear to be hardware-related at this stage. Please confine your posting to just the one topic here until we determine the problem, in order to prevent confusion and possibly conflicting advice.

Edited by AustrAlien, 10 May 2012 - 08:56 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#10 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

I posted post #8 before I saw post #7. Ah good, I'm interested in the best help available regardless of the board. :) Here's an update: I'm doing the "clean boot" plan, and so far, if it isn't just luck, I didn't get a BSOD yet. Instead of doing the exact steps, I selected which processes I actually recognize and want, so, if this continues to work--hopefully--it was a great thing to do in order to minimize clutter in what processes start up that I don't even care for anyway, and of course mainly to avoid the BSOD! Here's hoping.
Also I'm unsure it's related but every single day Microsoft Security Essentials tells me there's a "Program:Win32/PowerRegScheduler" that could be a threat, but every single day it also says it fails to delete it. So it pops up every day.
Here's hoping the BSODs are gone. :huh:

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

msconfig is to be used ONLY for the short-term purposes of trouble-shooting a problem, not as a long-term means of controlling start-up items, which can be safely done using either of:
*** Be sure you enable all items ("normal startup") in msconfig when you have finished using it, and before using either of the other two suggested applications. ***

Re: "Program:Win32/PowerRegScheduler"
We'll have a look at that issue later, and should be able to fix it without too much trouble. You may also be able to stop it running on start-up with one of the applications suggested above in the meantime.

Summary
PowerRegScheduler is a product registration system used by some legitimate software programs. It collects demographic data for vendors who use PowerRegScheduler as a product registration reminder. PowerRegScheduler collects data such as your name, address, e-mail, place of purchase, product serial number, etc. This data is transmitted to PowerRegScheduler servers and is then made available to the manufacturer of the purchased product.

Source: http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=Program%3AWin32%2FPowerRegScheduler
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

Yes! As far as I know I figured out the culprit was "Microsoft IntelliPoint", an unnecessary mouse-related driver/software sort of thing. I found out using the msconfig "clean boot" strategy you shared with me http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 and it makes sense because I recently switched mouses between my laptop and desktop, which I didn't realize to be a recent hardware change because it's a mouse this desktop had already, also a Microsoft mouse, so it slipped under my mental radar when I tried to figure out if I've installed any new hardware recently, so then I uninstalled "Microsoft IntelliPoint" from my Control Panel Programs list. I'd say the msconfig "clean boot" strategy is awesome for nailing BSODs quick! Obviously not in all cases, but as the #1 step or one of the first steps. I hope my experience may be able to help you help others with BSODs even more efficiently by suggesting that strategy early on, if that's a good idea. Thanks so much! :) I also returned msconfig to normal as advised and carefully went through the Autoruns program to deselect things I know are unnecessary. Then I saved Autoruns.atm in the Documents folder where it was. Is that the right place to save it? If not where? Thanks!

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

I saved Autoruns.atm in the Documents folder where it was. Is that the right place to save it?

That's as good a place as any.

Seems like you have the issue resolved: Well done!

Pleased that the clean boot trouble-shooting strategy worked so well for you: Thanks for letting us know what the problem turned out to be, and the successful outcome.

Good luck.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:08 AM

The old BSOD issue has seemed cured for a few days now, especially since I did away with the new computer mouse that was probably helping to cause the error, but I also put in a new keyboard yesterday, and then got a BSOD this morning very very likely just because of that. All this stuff about putting in a new mouse or keyboard causing BSODs strikes me as silly, as if it shouldn't be such a big deal. The hardware is always official Microsoft mouses and HP keyboards, too. So my question is: Is there a proper way to introduce a new keyboard I don't know of besides plugging it into the tower? (so that I don't have to replace keyboards until one doesn't cause BSODs)
Thanks!

Edit: In case it helps, I think Microsoft Essentials always picks up this problem I mentioned before only when a problem mouse or keyboard is installed: http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?name=Program%3aWin32%2fPowerRegScheduler&threatid=9940

Edited by andrewset, 19 May 2012 - 09:10 AM.

#15 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

I still have this BSOD issue. Is there anything else we can try? It happens sometimes in Safe Mode too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users