Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using a video card just for the GPU?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fish0

fish0

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:23 PM

Nvidia sells a brand of high-end graphics cards, the Tesla, that are used only for the GPU rather than as a video adapter and most do not even have video output.

I was wondering if I could use a regular graphics card the same way. I want to use a pci-e card so that it speeds up my games, but I want to plug in the monitor cable into either the integrated graphics socket, or the socket of a conventional PCI card. The reason is that the card I am using is an old radeon X1300 that requires a dual-link DVI cable, which is something I do not have and would rather not buy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

I do not believe so.

I am fairly certain that when a dedicated graphics card is added to the system it defaults to that dedicated card so it is not expecting output through the integrated.

I'm not sure why you have an opposition to getting a DVI cable, they are not too expensive.

Maybe this will help?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814998101
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users