Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New XP installation after HD breakdown

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 rpsupporter

rpsupporter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

Hello. I had a hard drive crash, but it restarted after a few days. I tried to make a set of recovery disks (like I did when I bought it new) but both times the HP recovery tool hung up, with no good results. I went to the WD site and ran diagnostics on the hdd and all reports were good.

All was fine for a few weeks until the next crash, this time for good. I purchased an XP Pro refurbish license and a new hdd. I had XP home before. The installation went fine but I have no sound or internet. All hardware reports as functioning but no functions!

When I check the lan connection it shows 1394 connection, connected, 1394 net adapter. When I double lick the icon it says connected but shows no traffic. When I try to connect through ie it says no connection currently available.

For audio, I access it through control panel and it says "no audio device.

I'm thinking I need drivers but have only installed them before from disks with new hardware.

Any help would be appreciated.
rpsupporter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

What kind of computer do you have?

#3 rpsupporter

rpsupporter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:09 PM

Hello Bleepin Madman,

It's an HP Pavillion a1610n desktop w/AMD dual core 2.2 GHz.

Thanks for the interest.
rpsupporter

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

your drivers are at hp site
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3239117

#5 rpsupporter

rpsupporter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

Hello caperdog,

Thanks for the guidance. All went well, considering I'm using an old Presario to do the leg work. I got the installation file to the hp's desktop but when I ran it I found out that when I installed xp on the new hdd it was named drive h, but the hp driver install wants drive c! Nothing hard's ever easy I guess. So I guess I'm looking at another xp install, after re-formatting h and then I guess I insure that the new drive install will use c by going to the boot menu on start-up? Any hints? Especially if there's an easier way. Maybe a tip on the reformat and boot menu?

I thought of deleting c and renaming h but maybe that would confuse xp? I don't have anything else installed, just xp.

Sorry for the ineptitude.
rpsupporter

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

It would help...if you post a screenshot from Disk Management.

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Post a screenshot reflecting all drives/partitions, please.

How To Capture And Edit A Screen Shot - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic43088.html/page__gopid__2493350

If you have an OEM license, it may balk at doing anything but a clean install on a clean hard drive/partition...with no other drives attached other than the optical drive.

Louis

#7 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

Just as a note: I've worked on a few of these systems and for some reason Windows likes to map the card reader "drives" first. You can avoid this by unplugging the card reader cables from the motherboard when you install Windows. And yes, you will want to reinstall windows imo. Remapping a system drive letter is tedious and usually has issues down the road.

As for the cables you're looking for... Open up the side cover of your tower. You should see some white/grey cables coming from the front panel. These plug into the USB pins on the motherboard. Be careful not to unplug the front panel power/reset/hd activity wires (usually plugged into the bottom right corner of the motherboard), otherwise your power button won't work. I'll see if I can find a photo.
Posted Image

#8 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

Here ya go.. Unplug these then reinstall Windows and your system drive should be mapped to C:

You can plug them back in after the install, with the computer shut down of course.

Posted Image

EDIT: If the yellow pin plug to the left of those two plugs has a wire going to the front panel, go ahead and disconnect that too.

Edited by kisk, 11 May 2012 - 08:46 AM.

Posted Image

#9 rpsupporter

rpsupporter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

Hello kisk,

Thanks for the direction. Grabbing screen shots and posting is not so easy with an old latitude. So I'm unplugging the usb connections (actually for media cards on front - 4 total?)and also the yellow audio connector to the left of the PCI3? Just want to be sure.

FYI...I'm currently showing c,d,e,f,g (cd/dvd), h (hdd), in windows explorer. Wjich makes sense.

Another question, All I have installed is xp pro, do I need to format the hdd before shutting down and reinstalling xp pro? A little confused there.

Also thanks to Louis.
rpsupporter

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:11 PM

I would recommend a clean install which will require a reformat.

#11 rpsupporter

rpsupporter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hello kisk & cryptodan & caperdog & hamluis,

Hope I spelled them all right. Reinstalled xp pro and then downloaded the drivers from hp, installed, and still have the same results.

I unplugged the front panel card connectors and the F_AUDIO connector. After xp installed on c I reconnected and then got 5 drivers from hp.

NVIDIA LAN installed
Keyboard & mouse driver did not finish - missing MS NET software, but no problems with these.
NVIDIA chipset did not install, as I don't believe I have that hardware.
GEForce appeared to install normally.
REALTEK appeared to install normally.

In Device Manager
Under Network Adapters I show 1394 netadapter and it says the driver is installed and it's operating.
Under IEEE 1394 Host Controllers I have OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 installed & working.
Under Other Devices (yellow ? on this and all sub menu items) 5 items: Audio; PCI Bridge; PCI simple comms; SM Bus controller; Unknown devide... all show no driver installed. Shortened the names to save typing.

Everything under Sound, Video & Game Controllers shows installed and working.

Network Connections show connected and working LAN but no packets.

I heard mention of the AMD needing its own drivers to talk to the 1394, so I downloaded and updated but no change.

Dang.
rpsupporter.

#12 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

NVIDIA chipset did not install, as I don't believe I have that hardware.

Thas was very bad decisions you know :whistle:

Under Other Devices (yellow ? on this and all sub menu items) 5 items: Audio; PCI Bridge; PCI simple comms; SM Bus controller; Unknown devide... all show no driver installed. Shortened the names to save typing.

A litle tips after installing Windows, Install Device Drivers first starting from SM Bus Controller.
If I was not wrong and link that caperdog give was not wrong :wink:
► SM Bus Controller is Fall 2006 Original NVIDIA Chipset Drivers
► Audio is Fall 2006 Original Realtek High Definition Audio Drivers, sometimes you need to manually install Microsoft Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) High Definition Audio class driver (kb888111) to install High Definition Audio Driver.
► PCI Bridge / PCI simple comms is between Fall 2006 Original NVIDIA LAN Drivers or Fall 2006 Original Asus Modem Drivers.
► About Unknown Device, could you go to Device Manager, please click on Unknown Device then go to Details Tab, Click under Hardware Ids and press Ctrl C (keyboard shortcut for Copy) and paste that string on your next post.

And please do this to check something :whistle:
On Device Manager click on View Tab then click Show Hidden Device and tell does any yellow mark except 5 item that you tell before?

Everything under Sound, Video & Game Controllers shows installed and working.

Does you Realtek audio working?? if yes maybe your VGA have HD Audio? if yes please install it from Fall 2006 Original NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE Graphics Drivers

ps: if none of driver from caperdog link working please paste Hardware Ids from every devices that have yellow mark.

Edited by abauw, 13 May 2012 - 09:16 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#13 rpsupporter

rpsupporter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

Hello abauw,

For SM Bus controller I found spec on hp site, went to NVIDIA site and found correct version (178.24_geforce_winxp_32bit_english_whql) and installed. Restarted system but saw no change.

For Audio I searched for UAA, found on hp site, downloaded (sp33867 version) and installed. Rebooted but no change.

Then installed RealTek driver from hp site (sp26792 version) but it would not complete, Reason was given as I was missing the UAA drivers?

For PCI I got model from hp spec (ASUS), downloaded and installed from hp site (sp26804) and rebooted but no change.

For Unknown Device the Hardware ID shows as follows:
Unknown Device
Details
Hardware IDs
ACPI\AWY0001
*AWY0001

Now Device Manager, under Other Devices, shows only 4 devices: Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus; Other PCI Bridge Device; SM Bus Controller; Unknown Device.

When I change view on Device Manager to show hidden there is a yellow exclamation mark on Serial which is under Non Plug & Play Drivers.

Under Network Connections I still only show the 1394 adapter, but I now have a tray icon for the 1394, showing connected at 400Mbps. (woohoo!!)

Realtek is NOT working and I do have speakers on my monitor, but it is not working either. I believe it was included in the NVIDIA download.

Hardware IDs of yellow mark devices are:

Audio
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&REV_1000
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01

Other PCI Bridge Device
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_2A34103C&REV_A3
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0269&SUBSYS_2A34103C
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0269&CC_068000
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0269&CC_0680

SM Bus Controller
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0264&SUBSYS_2A34103C&REV_A3
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0264&SUBSYS_2A34103C
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0264&CC_0C0500
PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0264&CC_0C05

Unknown Device
ACPI\AWY0001
*AWY0001

Just FYI, all drivers I installed came packaged as an executeables.

Also FYI, after I installed XP I then attempted to install drivers. Nothing else has been installed.

I hope I supplied all requested information and performed the installations correctly.

Maybe I should collect proper drivers and do 3RD install? Don't really want to but it is rainy season here in Pennsylvania. I always have lomg work day so maybe my response is slow but I check during work too.

I appreciate all the help and patience.
rpsupporter

#14 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

Just FYI, all drivers I installed came packaged as an executeables.

Also FYI, after I installed XP I then attempted to install drivers. Nothing else has been installed.

Could you check on Drive C: does some folder shown up after you run that exe files? maybe, just maybe that exe file run to extract some files that compressed on that exe files and you need to install it manually :whistle:
Just go to that link and try download something and found this link View directions right under Download Button.
From that guide please go to C:\SoftPaq and try to manually install your driver, hope you know how to do it :wink:
If not please tell it :thumbup2:

For ACPI\AWY0001 try to install it from NVIDIA Chipset Driver, but usually this will automatically installed when you install SM Bus Controller.

Then installed RealTek driver from hp site (sp26792 version) but it would not complete, Reason was given as I was missing the UAA drivers?

Could you search for kb888111 on that that folder and manually install it? because sometimes setup couldn't install it automatically, just search kb888111 and double click to install it.

Edited by abauw, 14 May 2012 - 07:52 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#15 rpsupporter

rpsupporter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

Hello abauw,

Almost good, I can now access the internet. But still no sound.

I searched for but could not find kb888111 on c drive. In Device Manager I show MS UAA is installed and working properly but when I try to manually install the RealTek driver through Device Manager it still says I need to install MS UAA!

It is very late for me, I will not see further replies tonight.

Finally some progress.
Thank you very much for your help.
rpsupporter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users