Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

? BEST ANTI MALWARE to buy

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 roxiefan

roxiefan

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

Can someone tell me the best anti malware that I should purchase for my computer. I currently have Trend micro which is about to expire and it has allowed a redirection virus called happili.com to invade my computer and i have tried everything but still have this. I am new at posting so I am trying to figure out where to go to get support for this removal. I would love to know what everyone thinks about their antimalware/virus programs..Thanks so much!

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

You ask a question that we see often here. Please take a look here: Answers to common security questions - Best Practices Prevention & Choosing an Anti-virus or Firewall and How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected.

By reading those topics you will gain some valuable information to educate yourself in making an informed decision. Remember there is no 'one size fits all' solution when it comes to security.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 roxiefan

roxiefan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:21 PM

Thanks so much.. :)

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

Just a quick caveat to what Animal mentioned and that is that as a consumer, you don't need to spend money security software these days. Most antivirus applications offer their products free of charge to consumers. Personally, I use the following.

For a novice, I suggest you stick with the Windows firewall for the time being since third party firewalls will likely confuse you with alerts which you probably won't understand.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

I missed addressing your question about "Happili" but I see you have already posted about it here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic453060.html/

That is the proper forum to address malware to begin. You may however be advised to repost it in the malware log section if it cannot be solved there. Please be patient and you will get a response.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 roxiefan

roxiefan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:07 PM

Xircal, How do you keep real time virus's out versus just scanning here and there?? thanks so much!

#7 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:49 AM

Xircal, How do you keep real time virus's out versus just scanning here and there?? thanks so much!

OK, here's how to setup AVAST. I've created some screenshots for you to make it easier to understand.

Screenshot: AVAST main menu and "Actions" menu
First of all, start Avast by either clicking the desktop menu shortcut, or click the orange icon in systray. In the first screenshot, click the orange "Scan Now" button on the left. This will load the "Scanning" menus. I've used the "Full System Scan" as an example here. Underneath the green "Start" button on the right, click "More Details" and then click the blue "Settings" button indicated by the red arrow. In the "Actions" menu on the left which I've ringed in red, checkmark the option called "Automatically apply actions during scan..." This will expand the menu so that you can see the other actions shown in the screenshot. Underneath that, select "Move to chest" from the dropdown menu in the first two options. In the third option, choose "Delete". This answers your question about what AVAST does if it finds a virus during a scan. Checkmark the option to perform the action on the next reboot and then checkmark the top option to try to remove the packed archive, or if that fails, to do nothing. This option will work in 99% of cases.

'PUP' means "Pontentially Unwanted Program". Click the 'PUP' tab in the same menu to see what the options are. However, what Avast considers potentially unwanted and what you consider it to be are two different things. Unfortunately, there's no "Ask" option, so my advice is to leave these as the default "No Action". You can check the log files to see what was found then decide what to do on the basis of that. Same goes for the other one called "Suspicious".

Screenshot: AVAST "Packers" configuration menu
Next, in the menu above that called "Packers", checkmark "GZip" as shown in the screenshot. The reason for this is because virus writers have started using Gzip as a packer because it's a Linux app and not normally scanned for on a Windows machine.

Screenshot: AVAST Create Log File
Next, click the "Report" link as shown in the screenshot and checkmark the boxes the same way you see them in the screenshot. This will generate a log file every time a scan is performed. You can view these in the Scan menu by clicking the link called "Scan Logs". Double click a log to see the contents.

Screenshot: AVAST Scan Scheduling
Next, click the Scheduling link and then decide how you want to employ this option. I recommend a daily scan because it costs nothing and keeps the bad guys out.

If you're not sure about a menu option, click the "?" shown on all menus bottom right. Or come here and I'll be happy to answer them for you.

Other things you might want to do can be configured by clicking "Settings" top right of the main menu to the left of the green "Upgrade" button. For example, to turn off sounds, click "Settings", then "Sounds" and then remove the checkmark from "Enable Avast sounds".

Screenshot: AVAST Boot Time Scan
One other menu worth mentioning and located in the "Scan" menu is called "Boot Time Scan". It's not enabled by default and you need to schedule a scan on the next reboot for it to run. Usually, AVAST will prompt you to perform this scan if it detects a virus. A boot time scan runs before Windows loads and is designed to remove stubborn viruses which have changed Windows registry settings so that an antivirus program can't delete them. By running a boot time scan, Avast will have no problem removing them. In the screenshot, the "Action" option is set to "Ask". In this configuration, the scan will halt and you'll be presented with a number of choices. These are numbered "1" to "5". If you're not sure and you don't recognize the program, choose "1" which is to delete it.

Hope this helps.

#8 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:46 AM

I'll post in, well my usual....

I'd say for anti-virus/anti-malware(as a real time solution), any one of these whichever seems better to you, since both are pretty good..
Microsoft Security Essentials
Avast free

And in addition as an on-demand malware scanner...
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

For firewall, I'd say that the Windows firewall is enough if you are using Windows 7/Vista.

And XP's firewall isn't really bad either. But if you say otherwise try using the free version of either ZoneAlarm Firewall or Comodo Firewall.

On a personal note, I don't really recommend using a real-time anti-virus/anti-malware scanner. Instead I just have Malwarebytes installed as an on-demand scanner if I require it just in case and run weekly or bi-weekly system-wide scans using a good online scanner like the one from ESET - http://www.eset.com/us/online-scanner/.

Hope this helps. :)

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users