Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Monitor - black screen/green light flashing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 jcwagg

jcwagg

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:52 AM

Hi, I apologise if this problem has been solved previously.

My Dell flat screen monitor has gone black and the on/off switch is flashing green. It is plugged into a custom built pc running xp pro sp3.

For elimination purposes I have tried another (borrowed) monitor on my system and it works fine. I have also plugged the faulty monitor into a different PC (Medion XP Home SP3) and the problem persists.

I also plugged the monitor directly into the mains without connecting it to a pc and the Dell "Self test feature check" screen saver still appears.

I suspect that the monitor's days are over but if anybody has any other ideas I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

Which model is the monitor?

#3 jcwagg

jcwagg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

Hi, thanks for very quick response. The model number is E173FPc.

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:13 AM

Hi, thanks for very quick response. The model number is E173FPc.

I can't find that model on the Dell documentation site The earliest model is E177FP which dates from 2007, so I guess yours is a lot older than that. When did you buy it?

#5 jcwagg

jcwagg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

The model dates from 2005.

#6 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:15 PM

Press the Menu button on the monitor.

• If the menu comes up, you've got a problem with the video signal.
  • If no menu appears, then there's something gone pear-shaped inside the monitor, possibly the power supply.
If you've still got the documentation for it, check the troubleshooting guide, usually found at the end of the manual.

#7 jcwagg

jcwagg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:23 AM

Hi. I pressed the menu button and the menu appeared. I then decided to test the monitor with my pc one more time and it worked perfectly. So the fault would appear to be intermittent. I don't have the manual but managed to find it online. The troubleshooting section didn't really help. For now I'll use the monitor as normal and if it goes wrong again post back in this thread. Thanks for your help so far.

#8 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

You're welcome.

#9 jcwagg

jcwagg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

As suspected the fault has returned. Going back a couple of posts I established that the menu did appear when the menu button was pressed. You mentioned this may be down to a problem with the video signal. I'm once again using the borrowed monitor with my system which appears to have no problems (this is actually a 19" flat screen TV {Marks & Spencers own brand}which has a vga connection)

Is there a way to test whether the video signal is a problem?

#10 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

As suspected the fault has returned. Going back a couple of posts I established that the menu did appear when the menu button was pressed. You mentioned this may be down to a problem with the video signal. I'm once again using the borrowed monitor with my system which appears to have no problems (this is actually a 19" flat screen TV {Marks & Spencers own brand}which has a vga connection)

Is there a way to test whether the video signal is a problem?

Check this article: http://www.addictivetips.com/hardware/how-to-connect-your-computerpc-or-laptop-to-your-tv/

#11 jcwagg

jcwagg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

Hi Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I don't actually own a TV I can use for this purpose. I'm really just trying to see if the faulty monitor has a future. If not I will look for a replacement.

#12 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hi Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I don't actually own a TV I can use for this purpose. I'm really just trying to see if the faulty monitor has a future. If not I will look for a replacement.

Sorry, lost the plot there for a minute. I thought you were trying to hook up a TV instead.

Have a look at this doc which is specifically for Dell monitors: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/r83546/EN/solve.htm

#13 jcwagg

jcwagg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hi, sorry I've not posted back before. Other duties interfered over the weekend. I've been through the Dell site and done as suggested but it hasn't made any difference to the problem. I'm guessing there isn't much else that can be done other taking in into a repair shop. Unless you have any other ideas I'll probably get a replacement and put an end to this thread.

#14 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

I think you're looking at a replacement monitor unless you contact Dell and they advise you otherwise I regret to say. .

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,461 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:42 PM

It's quite likely the monitor is suffering from bad electrolytic capacitors - unless you or someone you know is up to investigating the unit's internals for this, it would indeed mean a trip to a repair shop, or a new monitor.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users