Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse on laptop only partially working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lisbonslady

Lisbonslady

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

Hi,

Can you help? the mouse in my laptop is not working correctly - the pointer will only move horizontally, side to side but not vertically, up and down.

the left and right click buttons are working fine...

the only thing I have done is restarted the computer which has not helped... on two restarts the keyboard stopped working and would not register any key strokes... don't know if that is connected to the same issue... keyboard is fine now.

I did plug in a wireless mouse and that is working fine...

Appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:50 PM

That usually indicates a hardware problem. Either the wire that carries vertical signal has failed or the electronics in the mouse for vertical movement have failed.

The wireless mouse working more less indicates that it isn't a software issue.

Try another mouse and see what happens. I've seen cheap USB optical mouse for $7.95 in a retail store, Non name brand of course.

Are you calling the touchpad a mouse or are you using a external mouse?
If you mean the touchpad it may have gone bad. You could try going to the device manager and and the Touchpad under "Mice and other Pointing devices" section and then the drivers tab and roll back driver and see if that helps.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 09 May 2012 - 01:54 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Lisbonslady

Lisbonslady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

the mouse I am talking about is the touchpad in the laptop...

when I turned the computer on to check the device manager as you suggested, it is working fine... but at times, it is working the keyboard will register no key strokes...

do you think this is something IN the laptop, something that needs to be reconnected... i've opened desktop computers for minor things but have never opened a laptop.... or is this possibly signs that the laptop is starting to go?

appreciate any help or thoughts you have... we use this at trade shows and while we can connect an external mouse.. if it up and goes on us at an event, we are in big trouble... thanks

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

So you are saying that if the touchpad works then the Keyboard doesn't?

Always presuming that you are not toggling the touchpad on or off?

Acer for example has a Fn + Function key to toggle it. HP has a switch above the touchpad and so on.

If not being toggled then it sounds like a hardware problem. However if the becomes either the touchpad or the keyboard works but not both then that is strange since they hook up to different connectors on the motherboard.

Does the Wireless mouse always work? Then for the time being I would keep it with the laptop and use it.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 May 2012 - 01:34 PM

Could you please post the make and model of your laptop. Also, assuming you're using Windows, is it XP, Vista or 7?

#6 Lisbonslady

Lisbonslady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2012 - 09:30 PM

I am using a Dell vostro 1520 and am running Windows 7...

and it's working fine right now... but still concerned that this could happen at any time... most of the time the touchpad was not working correctly - left and right click were fine but the mouse would only move from left to right, not in any other direction....

restarted the machine many times, and there were times where the keyboard would not work, had to restart again... it just happened here and there - at times the keyboard would stop working when the mouse was ok, other times the mouse was not working well...

have had no issues with the wireless at all... but prefer not to have to use it...

am not aware of any function that toggles the keyboard off...

hope that was clear... appreciate any thoughts you may have... thanks...

#7 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:59 AM

Go to this site, enter your Service Tag and see if there are any articles available which explain how to fix the problem: http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/ProductSelector

If you don't know what that is, use the options on the right to identify the correct documentation.

#8 deb001

deb001

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2012 - 05:48 PM

Hi Lisbonslady,

My name is Debbie.

Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number. It will bring you to your driver’s page. Select the proper operating system. Then under input devices, download in your browser, the touchpad drivers. If you cannot find them in Windows 7, then download the Vista drivers and install them in the compatibility mode.
Right click on the driver file, left click properties, and left click compatibility. Change the compatibility to Vista. Right click on the drivers, then left click run as administrator.

In case you are still facing issues with Mouse, Keyboard or Touchpad, kindly go through the below mentioned article which will provide you troubleshooting steps for mouse, keyboard and touchpad issues:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&docid=DSN_361927&isLegacy=true

*NOTE: There is no shortcut key to turn off the Keyboard.

Please reply in case you have any questions.

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

Edited by Orange Blossom, 04 August 2012 - 08:10 PM.
Replaced short links with actual, and removed spammy content. ~ OB

Thanks & Regards
Debbie_B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users