Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro, SP3 has no audio

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 MWBeno

MWBeno

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

After removal of a number of software programs via Add/Remove Programs I lost audio. A couple of the programs removed were Roxio 2009 and ooVoo. When I right click on the speaker and select Volume control I get the Message:

" There are no active mixer devices available. to install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click on Printer and Other Hardware and click Add Hardware". I did that but could not find anything like "mixer hardware". Is there some other device name to look for?

RealPlayer is installed and shows up on the System Tray. The driver has been updated from the HP site but still do not have audio! The version is the same as to one I had.

Using Device Manager, I've been looking at the hardware attached. Audio hardware is listed with no question or exclamation marks anywhere. All devices are listed as working properly and where applicable, and are Enabled.

However, in the SOUNDS, SPEECH and AUDIO DEVICES pulldown, Audio and Sound Recording selections are grayed out so nothing can be selected there.

As I mentioned, this is all happened after removing a number of unused programs using ADD/REMOVE feature of Windows. Some of the other problems created at that time were rectified by reinstalling software. But not all. . . .

The computer is HP origin running XP Pro, SP3, Pavilion model d4650y. All hardware is original with the exception of a 1TB Western HD and 4GB RM that have been added. All these problems are the aftermath of the SMART_HDD malware that has been (hopefully ) removed after many days of Bleeping Forum support.

Edited by MWBeno, 09 May 2012 - 08:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

If you remove the 1TB HD and the RAM, does audio return?

#3 MWBeno

MWBeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

I've tried re-seating the RAM but not tried removing the HD. They were both installed long before the audio problem reared it's ugly head. All testing of both HD's says they are OK.

Thanks,
Mike

#4 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

Try running DirectX sound diags. You can access it by typing dxdiag in the Run field and then click OK. If you haven't go the "Run" command on the Start menu, hit "Windows logo key + R" instead.

Also, type: msinfo32 in the Run command and then in the left hand panel of the menu which appears, expand "Components" and click "Problem Devices". That may also provide some clues.

#5 PCCom

PCCom

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

In device manager under audio device click on your audio device does it say "Driver is enabled but has not
been started"

If so here are 2 solutions
Microsoft audio kernel reinstall
"Enumerator" issue

It's been a while but I think the second solution worked for me

#6 MWBeno

MWBeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

Device manager info :

Device is enabled - there is no place, that I could find, to tell if it is actually turned on and active.

dxdiag:

Tells me that no sound card is found and if one is expected to download driver from hardware manufacturer. I'll try to find a sound driver from HP.

Thanks to both,

Mike

#7 MWBeno

MWBeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

I forgot to mention that no problem devices were found by msinfo32.

Thanks,

Mike

#8 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

OK. If the problem continues, let us know and we'll try and help.

Can you also post the HP model if you do come back.

#9 MWBeno

MWBeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

OK. I'm back.

The only audio driver I found on the HP site was one that I had downloaded yesterday and there was not any change in operation. Just for giggles, I tried again just now and let Windows search for the driver. No change.

The computer model is HP Pavilion d4650y desktop with XP Pro SP3.

I ran Microsoft Fixit diag, Windows Audio Playback Troubleshooter and it found the following:
Both Windows Audio and Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be running. At least one of these is not running.
Where do I go from here?

Thanks,

Mike

#10 PCCom

PCCom

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hi,

Check if PnP SW Enumerator is installed on your machine (Device Manager / System devices)

#11 MWBeno

MWBeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Hello PCCom,

PnP SW Enumerator is installed, operating properly and enabled. Where to from here?

Mike

#12 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

Device manager info :

Device is enabled - there is no place, that I could find, to tell if it is actually turned on and active.

dxdiag:

Tells me that no sound card is found and if one is expected to download driver from hardware manufacturer. I'll try to find a sound driver from HP.

Thanks to both,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Can you check this troubleshooting guide for your machine: Troubleshooting no audio: HP Pavilion d4650y

#13 MWBeno

MWBeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:56 PM

I'll give the HP diag a shot and get back to you with results. It may not be by the end of today because I have a meeting this evening.

Right now Windows (local services) shows that Windows Audio is Started and is set for Automatic Start.

Thanks,

Mike

#14 MWBeno

MWBeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

Good morning again Xircal,

Well I'm back after trying the HP diagnostics as recommended. The bottom line is the same - still no audio. My earlier post regarding description of the problem still apply under the same conditions.

What am I missing? I've been reading a lot of STUFF out there about people having a similar problem.

Thanks,

Mike

#15 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

If this problem has only arisen just recently, I would suggest running "System Restore" and winding back the clock to a time prior to uninstalling the apps you mentioned. That means you'll get them back again, but hopefully, audio will return. If it doesn't, you can undo the restoration quite easily from the same menu.

You'll find System Restore by going to Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | System Restore. You might want to create a shortcut to it on your desktop by using the right mouse button to drag it out of the menu. When you let go, you'll get a menu. Choose "Copy here".

After that, check the sites the apps came from in case you have to follow a specific procedure to uninstall them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users