Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zero bytes-meaning?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:41 AM

I have noted many files that show-"zero bytes". Does this mean that there is no bytes or somehere between 1 and 999 bytes in the file? I think it means "some" data but less than 1K of data--am I confused? :flowers: :thumbsup:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 09 November 2004 - 12:15 PM

It could mean any number of these, but typically it means that it is a file that another application has made. When data needs to be written to it, then it needs a place to go so it can be used later. Some applications will crash if it did not have a place for the data to be placed.

Example: Application computer.com makes the file dataforlater.dat. Computer-support.com has data that may be needed for later, so it saves it in dataforlater.dat, and computer-support.com closes. If the file did not exist, and it was not programed to automatically make one (a very common practice), then that file would not know what to do, and chances are would return an error message, and the application would close. In the case that the file already exists, then when computer.com needs the data, it knows exactly where to get it.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 EdBee

EdBee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 09 November 2004 - 04:42 PM

Thks JASON,

Therefore I will not quite so apt to delete a file just because it shows ZERO bytes :flowers: :thumbsup:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users