Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sorta web browsing related...have web issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tobyo

tobyo

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 11:18 PM

I am not sure this is the correct place to put this, so please move accordingly.

I am so frustrated with this new netbook that I got. I've had it about 4 months and I am ready to toss it out the window!!! I bought it to replace my older, ahem, slower (not really!!) netbook and, oh yea, this one has a larger hard drive.

I'm hoping this might be easy to solve but I am not sure how to do that. If I leave the machine idle, or close it, when I come back to it either I need to reconnect to the internet because my connection was lost....and/or when I try to access the internet it hangs and hangs and hangs. and I end up rebooting which seems to solve it until I leave the computer idle again (or close it). what the heck??? I have an Acer Aspire One running Windows 7 and supposedly 4 gb memory (which is hardly faster than my older 1 gb memory).

anyone know what the problem is and how to fix? It seems to run better after I run TFC.exe. I only use this for web surfing, blogging, email, downloading pictures(and uploading them to webshots). No games and hardly ever facebook (where I did get a virus on my other machine).

thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:32 AM

the machine idle, or close it

Do you mean running in sleep mode or hibernate in wireless connection? There are many aspire one series posted on the net, so which one? Have you tried checking the netbook's power options recommended settings along with the network adapter properties power management tab in device manager? Check also for any current patch or updates by Acer website for your specific computer model and complete your windows update.

Tekken

#3 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:49 AM

the machine idle, or close it

Do you mean running in sleep mode or hibernate in wireless connection? There are many aspire one series posted on the net, so which one? Have you tried checking the netbook's power options recommended settings along with the network adapter properties power management tab in device manager? Check also for any current patch or updates by Acer website for your specific computer model and complete your windows update.

it's an Acer Aspire One 722. I guess it's the 722 that was missing. it doesn't go into hibernate that I know of but perhaps sleep mode, yep, that is what I mean.

hmmm, many things to check so I'll look into those. I have windows updating automatically so that part is okay.

thanks for these suggestions.

#4 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:05 AM

so...my choices for power management are: balanced(recommended and that's what it's set to), power saver and high performance. are you saying if I change this to high performance my machine won't do those goofy things? or maybe they're less likely to occur?

I did change "what happens when I close the lid" to do nothing now. maybe that will help.

I am not seeing anything about network adapters.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:23 AM

I did change "what happens when I close the lid" to do nothing now. maybe that will help.

I never just "shut the lid" and hope it saves half a cent worth of power each month as this seems pointless -
Save any open work and Turn the computer OFF, and turn your internet off if you can, as this usually solves the problem

If you have telephone via your internet, leave only the modem turned on but be sure the computer is off -

#6 tobyo

tobyo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

I never just "shut the lid" and hope it saves half a cent worth of power each month as this seems pointless -
Save any open work and Turn the computer OFF, and turn your internet off if you can, as this usually solves the problem

If you have telephone via your internet, leave only the modem turned on but be sure the computer is off -

shutting the lid for me is just that, and to set it aside for later use. it's not saving power that I'm concerned with, it's what happens when I return to the machine is what's been driving me nuts. I don't have phone via the internet so no issue there. and I always exit the internet, almost always, when I step away.

any other opinions or advice? really appreciate the replies, thanks so much!

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:00 AM

I am not seeing anything about network adapters

Check the Device Manager - Network adapter(LAN or WLAN?)then right-click ->Properties, Advanced tab. Do you see any other option referring to power saving mode for the adapter?

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users