Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezing Frequently

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 GotPT

GotPT

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hi all,

Hurts my pride to ask for help with computer based problems seeing as I am a CSE major but this might call for drastic measures. In the past week I've been noticing that my laptop has been freezing quite frequently. Sometimes on boot it freezes right when the desktop appears and I cannot click any buttons. If I somehow make it past that point then it usually freezes within thirty minutes of use. Through safe mode I've tried MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware - but they both did not pick up anything. I also run avast regularly on my machine and a scan there brought up nothing. I also today ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool and it didn't pick up any problems.

I was starting to think it was maybe a Memory problem or something else hardware related, but I have never encountered a freeze in safe mode so I figured that that would eliminate that choice. Outside of MalwareBytes and SAS, I wasn't too positive what tools would be needed to root out the cause of my freezing issues. I'm not too positive if I could have registry problems or how to go about fixing them.

Am I infected?
Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I'll be checking my phone regularly so hopefully I can stay on top of this topic!

Thanks bleepingcomputer community!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pizza and Pepsi

Pizza and Pepsi

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:00 PM

My name is Pizza and Pepsi. I will try to give you a hand and help you solve the problem.

Lets run Security Check.

Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop.

* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

Please download MiniToolBox and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size

Click Go and post the result.

Please download the TDSS Rootkit Removing Tool (TDSSKiller.exe) and save it to your Desktop. <-Important!!!

Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the tool for known TDSS variants.
Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
If TDSSKiller does not run, try renaming it.
To do this, right-click on TDSSKiller.exe, select Rename and give it a random name with the .com file extension (i.e. 123abc.com).
Click the Start Scan button.
Do not use the computer during the scan
If the scan completes with nothing found, click Close to exit.
If malicious objects are found, they will show in the Scan results - Select action for found objects and offer three options.
Ensure Cure (default) is selected, then click Continue > Reboot now to finish the cleaning process.
Note: If Cure is not an option, Skip instead, do not choose Delete unless instructed.
A log file named TDSSKiller_version_date_time_log.txt (i.e. TDSSKiller.2.4.0.0_27.07.2010_09.o7.26_log.txt) will be created and saved to the root directory (usually Local Disk C:).
Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET Online Scanner:

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.

Vista/Windows 7 users: You will need to to right-click on the either the IE or FF icon in the Start Menu or Quick Launch Bar on the Taskbar and select Run as Administrator from the context menu.

Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.

For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
Double click on the Posted Image
icon on your desktop.

Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
Click the Start button.
Accept any security warnings from your browser.
Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
Click Advanced settings and select the following:
Scan potentially unwanted applications
Scan for potentially unsafe applications
Enable Anti-Stealth technology

ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
When the scan completes, click List Threats
Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
On ESET: Click the Back button, then the Finish button.

Note: Do not forget to re-enable your Anti-Virus application after running the above scan!

Post the logs and tell me how the computer is running now.
Malware shall not pass!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users