Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access A Non Existing Users Documents

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 YuriStinger

YuriStinger

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 12:06 AM

I was having some problems with my internet so I popped in my Windows XP System Recovery DVD. Anyway, I decided to clear everything with keeping backups of my previous files. After doing so, I locate my old documents in the backup folder and try to access it. Access denied. -slaps himself in the back of the head- Anyway, I have the documents for another user with a password that no longer exists with some informaiton in it that I would really like to get back. Any help would be great, much thanks.
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:42 AM

Hi there Yuri

The fact that you no longer know the password to the documents you wish to get the infomation from would suggest quite a long process to recover it. You may not even be able to get it in the end. There is an article at Microsoft on the problem and can be found here. I think that basically sums up there view on passwords.
I'm sure that there are numerous 3rd party programs out there that will happily crack into the document for you but i cannot recommend one as im not sure how safe/legal they are - i myself have never actually tried one.

When you said:

With a password that no longer exists

....does that mean you have forgotten it?

David

Edited by D-Trojanator, 26 February 2006 - 04:42 AM.

#3 YuriStinger

YuriStinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 02:17 PM

I know the password but when I cleaned up my computer it moved everything into a folder called "Backups" and started over again. Therefor, all my users were deleated but I still have the documents for them. As you know, if a user has/had a password it wont let you access their documents. Well I can't get into my old documents because of the password and the user doesn't exist anymore because I cleared my computer with a start up disk. Sorry this is kind of a hard thing to explain, i hope your following along. Thanks for sticking with me.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:02 PM

Try installing the user account with the password you know and see if you can access their documents that way. Give the account admin rights.

#5 YuriStinger

YuriStinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 05:52 PM

Ive tried that already... I take it its agenst forum rules to link me to a third party program to do anything? Ill be more than willing to test it out if it doesn't seem like some bogus program with a bunch of adware.

#6 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 07:25 PM

you could try this and read first about what it can do. i've not needed to use it but seen it recommended in other forums:
http://www.recovermyfiles.com/

#7 YuriStinger

YuriStinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 01:58 AM

Eh.. I'd have to purchase it to recover the files and it doesn't directly say that it will help with my problem, though its possible. I'd rather go without my old documents before I payed for somthing thats not a guarantee... Thanks for all the ideas so far guys, yall are great. I'm sure someone has a solution out there so keep posting your thoughts and I'll try em. :thumbsup:

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:09 AM

It's actually unethical for us to teach you how to crack passwords or bypass them.

#9 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:06 PM

I think he didn't ask that either.

If your documents are encrypted, you may kiss them goodbye. If it's only a matter of folder's ownership and you have been denied access, you still can gain control on the folder and get your files back:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:23 PM

I think he didn't ask that either.

If your documents are encrypted, you may kiss them goodbye. If it's only a matter of folder's ownership and you have been denied access, you still can gain control on the folder and get your files back:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421/en-us

As a matter of fact by asking to access a file that he admits is not his, and is password protected he is asking for help to crack the password. The link you provided does not destroy or ferrit out the original password, but provides a work around to defeating the security measures a user took to lock that file.
This could be a user who has every right to access that file. It could also be a high school student trying to access the teachers computer or worst. We have no way of knowing, so we do not help or promote the discussions of such topics. There are many places on the internet that will, we have choosen not to do so.
If password cracking software is discussed this topic will be closed.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 YuriStinger

YuriStinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:31 PM

It is mine, I used my startup disk to clean my computer making backups of all my previous stuff, but it had a password on it, therefor making it unable to access. But yes, I do know the original password and everything, theres just no user to log on to let me get into it :thumbsup: if it makes sence..

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 07:35 PM

I understand. I was not directing my comments towards you. I hope you understand our positions. It is designed to protect everyone as will as Bleeping Computer.

#13 YuriStinger

YuriStinger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:50 PM

Nah, lol its cool. Besides, Cyclica's post worked. I can't believe I missed it in microsoft help >. > I about feel like an a**hole for putting you guys through somthing so simple :inlove:. Either way, I think you guys are great. I'll be sure to come back for anything that I need. I'd support you too but seeing as how I'm tight on money and too stupid for anything else theres nothing I can really do. :thumbsup: -dances to his long lost techno- Besides, this is the first help forum of any type I've been to that the people helping you actualy seem HUMAN :flowers:. Crazy ain't it? Anyway thanks for the help again. :trumpet:

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2006 - 08:59 PM

It's all good. May be someone else can learn from this post.

#15 Cyclica

Cyclica

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:11 PM

As a matter of fact by asking to access a file that he admits is not his, and is password protected he is asking for help to crack the password. The link you provided does not destroy or ferrit out the original password, but provides a work around to defeating the security measures a user took to lock that file.
This could be a user who has every right to access that file. It could also be a high school student trying to access the teachers computer or worst. We have no way of knowing, so we do not help or promote the discussions of such topics. There are many places on the internet that will, we have choosen not to do so.
If password cracking software is discussed this topic will be closed.

Excuse me, but, before answering, I read the whole thread, and from what I understood, Yuristinger was trying to recover his old documents, which he was prevented access to, because he forgot to put them out of the protected folder before re-installing system, a situation I have experienced myself. I didn't see no requests for illegal procedures nor applications whatsoever, but then again, I may be wrong. Am I?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users