Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Patch Tuesday Problem?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kalmly

kalmly

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

One of my major applications - WordPerfect - fails to after Windows Update.

Usually I have automatic updates turned off until I know what, if any problems Patch Tuesday updates cause folks. I forgot. Now I'm Updated and WordPerfect won't open any more. So far, that's the only program that fails but it was fine early this a.m.

Anyone else having problems after the patch?

Can you tell me how to UNDO the patch?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

Hi -
No problems here yet after 12 listed updates were installed and I rebooted -
Open Control Panel > Add/Remove, then make sure that "Show Updates" is ticked at the top Right side
Now see how many items are listed on todays (or yesterdays) date as being installed in any form of M/soft updates
They may not all have a date beside them, but I counted at least 9 current updated items -

From there, you often have the option to Remove any item installed that you do not want -

Good Luck -

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:02 PM

Word Perfect will not be affected by Patch Tuesday, because it is an application that is developed by Corel. You may need to see if there is an update via Corel.

#4 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

Word Perfect will not be affected by Patch Tuesday, because it is an application that is developed by Corel. You may need to see if there is an update via Corel.

My version of WP is no longer updatable. I've used it without problems for years. I've made no changes to it. Nothing changed except for today's Windows UPdate. Plenty of folks here having problems: http://pcsupport.about.com/b/2012/05/08/patch-tuesday.htm some with applications destroyed.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

Please look at the dates for the posts on that link before posting. That happened last year around October.

What version of Corel do you have?

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

Just my view on this , and then can you please answer cryptodan

If you meant to pick the site that you did link to, the comments are listed as from 2011, not the current updates -

Do I Need These Security Updates?
QUOTE - You need these updates if you're running any currently supported Windows operating system (Windows 7, Vista, XP, etc.) or any version of any Microsoft Office program. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are affected. (Not other Apps)
Some of these updates fix problems so serious that if left unpatched, it's possible that someone could gain access to your computer. These issues are given a Critical severity rating.
Other fixes aren't quite as serious but are security issues that should be corrected nonetheless. These are categorized as Important.

Thank You -
EDIT - Is this yours -
kell says
: Furious. After the patch, I am unable to open WordPerfect. So far, that’s the only application I’ve found that has been killed but a big, expensive one. My computer is an HP Pavilion a450n. I have NO idea how to undo the updates.

Edited by noknojon, 09 May 2012 - 12:28 AM.

#7 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

Please look at the dates for the posts on that link before posting. That happened last year around October.

What version of Corel do you have?

The dates start in 2011. Scroll down. They end in May 2012.

Version of Corel: WordPerfect X3.

Thanks.

#8 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

Just my view on this , and then can you please answer cryptodan

If you meant to pick the site that you did link to, the comments are listed as from 2011, not the current updates -

Do I Need These Security Updates?
QUOTE - You need these updates if you're running any currently supported Windows operating system (Windows 7, Vista, XP, etc.) or any version of any Microsoft Office program. Both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are affected. (Not other Apps)
Some of these updates fix problems so serious that if left unpatched, it's possible that someone could gain access to your computer. These issues are given a Critical severity rating.
Other fixes aren't quite as serious but are security issues that should be corrected nonetheless. These are categorized as Important.

Thank You -

Using WinXP SP3. Yes, I also have MS Office. It has been my understanding that updates make changes to Windows, not just MS Office and that is what causes some people problems. The site referenced is ongoing. Scroll down.

Thank you for your help.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

Verify that you have the latest Service Pack from here: http://apps.corel.com/support/patches/wpox3sp2/index1.html for your product.

Edited by cryptodan, 08 May 2012 - 10:04 PM.

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:12 AM

Sorry - :(
Rechecked and found yours there -
A total of 2 "complaints" regarding these Current updates, all the rest could not be about this as they were dated prior to May 8, the release date
This included the reply from Tim about the "Fried Motherboard" -
1 A case of “the cure’s worse that the potential threat”! << No Complaint - [PT: April 2012] = Patch Tuesday April
2 well, my xps 1330 had a fried motherboard after the update. so sad. It was working fine just seconds before the update installed.
betty [PT: May 2012] = Patch Tuesday May
3 Tim Fisher says:@Betty: Updates from Microsoft can’t cause physical issues like a fried motherboard.
It was probably just an unfortunate coincidence. Sorry to hear about that. [PT: May 2012] = Patch Tuesday May
4 Plus yours ? ? [PT:May 2012] = Patch Tuesday May
That is a total of 2, plus one answer, and none are Microsoft related ? ? Not "Plenty of Folks" ?

Have you checked your Corel, as cryptodan asked ?

Thank You -

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:21 AM

To stop using Microsoft Update
If you no longer want to install updates using this website, you can disable the supporting software on your computer.
You can still get updates from the Windows Update website by visiting the site or by turning on automatic updating on your computer. However, you will not be able to get updates for products other than Windows.
Disable Microsoft Update software and let me use Windows Update only

Do you have this option at the bottom of the Updates page ? ?

#12 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:44 AM

Verify that you have the latest Service Pack from here: http://apps.corel.com/support/patches/wpox3sp2/index1.html for your product.

Thank you so much for looking those up. I'm 100% sure I already have the 1st patch; 80% sure I have the second but will download it and try it again. Can't hurt, might jog it.

If it isn't the patch, well, it has to be WP. Thank you for your help.

#13 kalmly

kalmly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

To stop using Microsoft Update
If you no longer want to install updates using this website, you can disable the supporting software on your computer.
You can still get updates from the Windows Update website by visiting the site or by turning on automatic updating on your computer. However, you will not be able to get updates for products other than Windows.
Disable Microsoft Update software and let me use Windows Update only

Do you have this option at the bottom of the Updates page ? ?

Yes, thank you I know how to run the updates manually. That's what I was doing previously. Yes, that was my post. Yes, downloading second Corel Patch. Also, have posted there.

Thank you for your help. Sorry I couldn't get back last night.

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

You are always welcome to any advice we can offer, however small it may be -
Sorry if I may have seemed a bit cynical in my responses, but I do hope they in no way offended you :flowers: Peace -
I only wished to point out how to read the items that Tim places on his page -

Hope you solve the problem
Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users