Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal DVD/BR drive unresponsive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 DublinMeUp

DublinMeUp

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

Hi all,

Edit: Apologies if this should be in external hardware, It is techically internal but i can make a case for both =).

I have a few issues with my system at the moment plus its clogged up with years worth of crap so i have decided to do a full format on it.

Problem is my DVD drive has suddenly stopped working. I need it for two reasons 1) to burn some backup data disks and 2) for the actual format.

System info:
Dell Studio XPS 435 MT
Processor: Intel Core i7 2.67GHZ
Ram: 8gig DDR3
DVD/BR Rom: HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH20N

^^ not sure if any other information would be helpful, let me know and i'll post / edit.

Problem Description:

When Disc is inserted actual rom drive sounds like its reading it. Status bar (green) in my computer progresses from left to right very slowly. If clicked anywhere on my computer unresponsive message appears, if left the message still appears but takes a lot longer.
Windows explorer becomes unresponsive, forced to end process, screen jumps and only wallpaper is displayed. Eventually desktop returns.

If disc is left in drive and we try to boot from it we get the same noise as if the drive is reading the disk but the disc boot counter goes very slowly, It eventually gives up and boots to normal windows.

Attempt to solve:

Uninstalled and reinstalled drive through device manager, downloaded newest driver pack and installed. No dice.

Theory:

Seems like a hardware issue? I'm not competent enough to start opening it up and messing around.

I use this computer for working from home so i badly need it fixed. As mentioned before there are other issues that im looking to resolve via a reformat, the main one being random BSOD's every day. i have dealt with these before but this one is different. No dumps or minidumps are created, no logs of any value a saved in event viewer. Basically i have no clue whats causing it and no way i know of of finding out.

Appreciate any help on this.
Gav

Edited by DublinMeUp, 08 May 2012 - 05:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:20 AM

1) to burn some backup data disks

If you can still boot windows, you can still use another way of backing up your important documents first by a USB storage devices such a flash drive or a portable hard drive. Let us know if you have completed this steps then we can proceed with the reinstalling OS on your optical drive problem after. I see online that you have two optical drives for the Dell Studio XPS?

Tekken

#3 DublinMeUp

DublinMeUp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:28 AM

Hi,

thanks for the reply.

I'll have to go out an buy an external hard drive or something.

I have only the one optical, There are two bays provided but only one on mine is used.

Cheers

#4 DublinMeUp

DublinMeUp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:50 PM

Ok Guys, need to bump this one up.

Hopefully the below provides more insight and helps resolve the problem.

My computer is still beeping!! :wink:

So my tower is now down to its bare bones so i can check connections and look at the drive itself. I know they are not expensive to buy but my problem is that i don't want to buy a new drive without knowing that its a hardware issue.

I opened up a spare Optiplex 755 i had lying around to hopefully swap out the drives to test,i also found a spare drive (think its from a laptop). Was thinking if one of them fit then i could work out where the problem is fairly easily.

Unfortunately both drives are of the skinny variety (not sure of their technical name), the drive giving me trouble is roughly the size of a small car radio/CD player and the two spare are roughly the size of a CD case so no go.
I checked the connections and they were also different on each.

So how do i test with no replacement drive? I don't think its a software issue but what do i know.

A picture tells a thousand words, this video struggles for a hundred lol. No but really, this is basically my OP in video form:

Any help, suggestions etc will be much appreciated.

Save my computer from :killcomp:

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:22 AM

Replace or borrow another optcial drive first then you will know if you can proceed with the backups and reinstall of your Win OS.

Tekken

#6 DublinMeUp

DublinMeUp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

Replace or borrow another optcial drive first.

Assume that this is not an option

#7 DublinMeUp

DublinMeUp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:57 AM

Update:

Drive read data from a roxio installation CD, so seems to read from "official" disks. Seemed to spin the disc very fast though

Drive still becomes non responsive when trying to read a blank DVDr (to burn with) and a full DVDr (win7 os install disc), both tested and working on a laptop

Edited by DublinMeUp, 21 May 2012 - 10:57 AM.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

Hi, A simple test to see if it is hardware or software related problem.

Try and boot off of the Windows 7 DVD. If it boots then there is a software problem.

If it doesn't boot then it is hardware (The drive)

From what you are describing the DVD laser could have gone bad and the CD laser is still working and no way to tell if the BluRay laser is working or not.

It is common on DVD drives for either the CD laser or the DVD laser to die and the other still works.

Best test is substitution.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 DublinMeUp

DublinMeUp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

Try and boot off of the Windows 7 DVD. If it boots then there is a software problem.

If it doesn't boot then it is hardware (The drive)

Thanks!, I didn't think i could distinguish between hardware and software on the boot test as i thought both were still equally involved in the process.
So you think with reasonable certainty that due to the below the dvd laser or some other part of the dvd hardware is at fault?

If disc is left in drive and we try to boot from it we get the same noise as if the drive is reading the disk but the disc boot counter goes very slowly, It eventually gives up and boots to normal windows.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:37 PM

As long as you can boot from that disc in another computer but not this one then it does sound as if your drive is gone. As long as your are sure it is set to boot from that drive first.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#11 DublinMeUp

DublinMeUp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:07 PM

Hi again,

Thanks for all the help, I have one final question if that's ok.

The Sata connection on my broken drive is a 15 pin on the right with a 7 pin on the left. The slimline laptop spare has a sata with 7 pin on the right and 6 on the left.

Are these the standard for slimline and non slimline drives? ie if i buy an non slimline replacement for my drive will it inherently have the correct sata connection (15 and 7) or do i need to make sure that the replacement has the bigger sata connection before purchasing.

Again Many thanks.

Computer should soon stop beeping and start working again :thumbup2:

Edited by DublinMeUp, 22 May 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:27 AM

Should be the same replacement as these are standard pins for either sata drive. http://www.allpinouts.org/index.php/Serial_ATA_%28SATA,_Serial_Advanced_Technology_Attachment%29

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users