Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't connect to internet

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 goldenchild

goldenchild

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:11 PM

Hello I'm using a HP Pavilion Entertainment PC Operating Vista Home Premium. My issues are with connecting to the internet via Ethernet Cable. I was having issues connecting wirelessly however, that is no longer a problem. I've also notice that I can not use any flash drives; I try to open my flash drive folder and get a pop up stating that windows explore is restarting then the window closes. This internet issues is a reason problem, I was using wireless connection with Verizon and switch providers which does not have a router so I'm stuck using the cable. Please let me know if you require any more information. Thank you!
Golden Lucks "Gifted and Talented"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:05 AM

Please provide the current ISP and modem brand/model you were provided along with any errors shown while on LAN. Did you check your network adapter under device manager for any flags or marks? Do you have other PCs that can/cannot connect also?

Tekken

#3 goldenchild

goldenchild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Hello, the isp is Time Warner and I'm using a D-Link router. I have other computers plug into it and I can use it wirelessly. I checked the network adapters on the device and there was a exclamation mark and I resolved that with a legacy install. I have no issues using wifi but when the cable is connect this is when the issue occurs. I've attempted to connect this machine on numerous routers same issue occurs when connected wirelessly. I have limited to no connection sometimes, other times it states that i'm connected but when I open Win Browser I cannot go to any websites. I get a Gateway error or This Page cannot be displayed. This is a relatives machine, I've done research and have no answers thus far...

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:36 AM

I have no issues using wifi but when the cable is connect this is when the issue occurs.

Did you try reinstalling the LAN network card from HP manufacturing support site? Usually when you connect the wired cable directly to any modem/router while using wirelessly, the default set then will be on LAN. Unless the NIC is faulty or dead since you mention connecting to numerous routers already, you might wanna check also in the BIOS setup utility for enabling LAN card.

Tekken

#5 goldenchild

goldenchild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

I went to HP site and downloaded the driver, however I was still not able to connect to the internet. It's only able to connect locally. I checked the BIOS but I do not see where I can enable the LAN. I've tried to perform ipconfig /renew, /release and /flush dns. I get a media disconnected message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users