Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backtrack 5 problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jay226

Jay226

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hi all,

I've recently tried using Backtrack 5 as a live cd but whenever i type in "startx" it goes to the loading screen but then goes back to a black screen and says something about a X server not found or shutting down,I've googled X server and looked on there website but I've got no idea how to install/run it so that Backtrack will work when i next try to log in. Can someone please tell me what i need to do?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:09 AM

It doesn't recognize your video equipment and/or doesn't know what to do with it.

That's the best I can do without knowing that information myself. Even with more information I may/may not be able to shed any further light. But let's start there: what kind of rig are you running, what's the video card type, etc?

#3 Jay226

Jay226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:35 AM

Thanks for the reply,

I'm running it on my Sony Vaio F13 laptop and its running Windows 7 64bit and the video card is a nvidia geforce with cuda

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

There's a whole lot of help here. But this may well address your particular problem.

#5 Jay226

Jay226
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

Thanks for the links but they didn't fix the problem,i stumbled across a video on YouTube by chance saying it had a fix for the problem and it worked although its not a permanent fix but at least i can make it work i also set it up as a VM now as well and that works fine :)

Thanks for your help though :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users