Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie Trying to build a computer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 arnott10

arnott10

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:25 PM

Hi,

I am trying to build a computer that used mostly for normal use (ex. Internet surfing, Banking, itunes, watching movies, pictures.)
The other thing that I am going to need this computer for is to run a program that is for residential drafting called softplan 14.

Here is a link that has the system requirements for sofptlan

http://www.softplan.com/What-Type-of-Computer-Does-SoftPlan-Require.html

I'd like to keep the cost of this computer between $500-$600 (not including mouse/keyboard,monitor,)

I do have a case that is 4-5 years old that i could use, but if its a dumb idea i'm ok to buying one

Also if my budget is out to lunch just let me know and tell me where i need to upgrade. I do want the computer fast.

Thanks.

Edited by arnott10, 08 May 2012 - 02:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

You can probably use the case, so long as it's not some weird kind of proprietary case. Reusing the case is a great way to save cash.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-A75-UD4H FM1 AMD A75 - This motherboard takes the FM1 APU processor, so a discrete graphics card isn't needed. This comes with SATA 6 and USB 3.0. If there is any reason for you to get a new case, it would be for USB 3.0, but you would need USB 3.0 compatible devices. $114

Power Supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W - This is a power supply that is more powerful than what you need, but, it will provide more power if you later decide to convert this general purpose PC into a gaming PC. $69

CPU: AMD A8-3870K Unlocked Llano 3.0GHz Socket FM1 - This is AMD's CPU blended with a GPU processor. They call it an APU. AMD's upcoming Trinity APU processors may not use the FM1 socket, so it is possible this is going to be the most powerful APU AMD will make for FM1. Trinity will be coming for laptops soon, but their desktop rollout may not happen until August. $119

RAM: Patriot Gamer 2 Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - This is more than enough RAM for what you're doing. $69

ODD: Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner, Bulk Package Black SATA Model AD-7280S-0B - A simple drive. $18

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM - You need this. Alternatively, you can use the consumer preview of Windows 8 until it is released to save money for now. $99

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB - A rather generic hard drive. Alternatively, if you don't have many files, or have another drive to use to store your data, you can get an SSD like the Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB. Most people use these SSD's to store the operating system and a few of their most frequently used programs, while leaving a traditional platter-based drive for all the other stuff. $80

Grand Total: $572

3939.png

#3 arnott10

arnott10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

Thanks DJB,

just curious, is there any benefit to using AMD rather than INTEL? i've been told by a few that intel is better. Also on that list is there anything that you would prefer to upgrade, although I want to build cheap i am not strapped for cash and don't want to put something in the computer just because it is cheaper. I also don't want it to be sluggish at all.

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:31 AM

The benefit of going with AMD is the value you get for it rather then having to pay more for Intel when your roughly getting the same performance. The only thing i see which you can upgrade on DJ's list is probably a much more efficient power supply if you want.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

Thanks DJB,

just curious, is there any benefit to using AMD rather than INTEL? i've been told by a few that intel is better. Also on that list is there anything that you would prefer to upgrade, although I want to build cheap i am not strapped for cash and don't want to put something in the computer just because it is cheaper. I also don't want it to be sluggish at all.

I hear you. I myself prefer an Intel build when cost is not an overriding concern.

In your situation, where you don't have any graphically intensive applications, or CPU intensive apps listed, that AMD build killerx525 suggested will do great. It might even be better than a low end Intel build as the graphics unit on that AMD CPU is far superior to the Intel. If I had some more severe number crunching requirements, or was considering the added expense of a separate GPU, then an Intel build (for an extra $100-$125) would be on the table.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:22 PM

Debating AMD versus Intel is a great way to start a flame war so I'm going to tread carefully. In terms of on-processor graphics, AMD is going to be better at this given the simple fact that AMD bought ATI (A graphics card maker) and is leveraging their assets by putting their technology into the CPU. Intel doesn't have this advantage.

As for what else to upgrade, the power supply is a bit overkill, but should be enough. There really isn't much you can upgrade on the list while maintaining your budget.

3939.png

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:24 PM

The credit for the build should go to DJ as i did not put that list together :)

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 arnott10

arnott10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

I was considering doing a seperate GPU, but if theres not much of an added benefit and the AMD processer will be fast as well as be able to handle softplan that might be the way to go. I notice with my laptop there has alway been a lot of lag... what Intel Processer and GPU would you guys suggest if that were the route i would like to go?

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

For what you're doing, a dedicated add-in GPU isn't going to make a difference in terms of performance. Some Intel processors come with graphics already on the processor, like AMD. It's just their graphics will not get close to AMD's in terms of performance. Adding a dedicated add-in GPU will up the cost of the computer by about $70 on top of any additional cost of getting a more expensive CPU and motherboard. Softplan isn't exactly needing cutting edge hardware, so the quad core CPU/APU I chose will be more than enough.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users