Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Optiplex 745 Problems and Hard Drive Switch

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 valley_girl1919

valley_girl1919

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:23 PM

I have a ultra mini optiplex 745 that just recently started giving me trouble. I noticed a couple days of days ago when the pc booted there was a message at start up that said "system battery voltage is low" and to press f1 to continue, so i did and everything seem to work fine until today. The computer monitor screen just suddenly goes black and states "entering power save mode" but the desktop is still on and I notice not long after the monitor goes off then i hear a loud fan noise, louder than I have ever heard it run. So, I hard shut the pc down and when running the diagnostics I didnt get a error and the hard drive diagnostic passed.

I am thinking this maybe a power supply issue but i am not sure. I have a optiplex 755 ultra mini that is working, so i took out the hard drive from the defective optiplex 745 and install it into the optuplex 755, but after doing this i notice the OS (which is windows 7) will not come up. it starts to but then just goes to a " Windows Recovery" screen. When I try running windows recovery that doesnt help. When I look in the bios it shows it detecting the hard drive, so i dont understand why it doesnt work. Has anyone else had this issue? Can I not simply take a hdd from an optiuplex 745 and install into a 755?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:45 PM

HI, You need to change the CMOS battery that keeps the BIOS settings when the computer is off.

CR 2032 battery.

Windows 7 isn't portable and the hardware is different enough between the 745 and the 755 that it isn't working. There is also a possibility that the Opti 745 USFF you have has some bad capacitors. I've replaced them in one already. The USFF Opti is the one with the gray sides and black in the front between the gray.

You could move the hard drive between the same model and expect it to work.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users