Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power issue with hard drives

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 hozzi19

hozzi19

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

I am running Windows XP Pro on an older P4 machine with a Intel® Desktop Board D865PERL motherboard. I have an IDE drive and a SATA drive. The SATA was installed over a year ago and the computer has been running fine for a year.
The machine is on 90% of the time, mainly used as a server for our laptops, data backup and printing, so very rarely is it used for web surfing.

The night before my problem we used it for scanning. In the morning, I found it continuously starting up and shutting down...almost as if there was a lose wire being wiggled over and over. I could not get it to boot even to the bios screen.

I purchased a new power supply. That did not work.

I unplugged one of the drives and it booted to the primary IDE hard drive which has windows installed on it. However, I only get the background image and no bars, icons or menus. Ctr-Alt-Del immediately powers it down.

When I plug the other drive in with this one, I have the power issue again where it continuously and spontaneously tries to start up and shut down.

I plugged in only the SATA drive this time and it gets to a black screen saying there is no bootable software on it...but no power problem.

The computer has seen its day to be honest and Im wondering if I should take my loss and try to get the information off the hard drives or if there is an easy fix that Im not aware of.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 08 May 2012 - 08:32 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

Hi

Does the BIOS see the drives okay without shutting down if you go into the BIOS setup when you boot it?

If it does then it might just be that the IDE drive is going and has corruption and errors on it.

If you can get into BIOS and see the drives without it shutting down then you could try a boot CD from the hard drive's manufacturer to scan the IDE drive first and then one for the SATA drive to see if it just needs to be replaced in order to get the system working again.

If you can't get into BIOS settings with both attached then it's harder to determine if it is just a bad drive or something else in the system like the motherboard.

James

#3 hozzi19

hozzi19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:37 PM

I didn't think of that. But I cant get into the bios with both drives connected, it shuts off too quickly. I will try with each one connected separately and get back to you. Thanks for the reply!

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:45 PM

Since you can't get into the BIOS with both drives attached it sounds a lot like a short. Often those motherboards will send a reset command to the power supply when there is a short like if you stick a screwdriver in a USB port. That sounds kind of like what you are seeing but your mystery is that it only seems to happen when BOTH drives are connected. Not just when one is. Look at the drives carefully for any signs of a short especially where the power plugs into them.

James

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

Hi James & hozzi19,

Based on past experience with this model motherboard, look at the motherboard and see if any of the capacitors are bloated.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

They may not be leaking but the tops need to be flat and the rubber bung should not be pushed out.

They can cause many different problems depending on what circuit they are in.
memory problems, Video problems, CPU running hot if they are the CPU filters etc.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 08 May 2012 - 03:52 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

If you unplug the power and cable from the CD drive does it let you have both hard drives plugged in without restarting over and over?

Also, I agree with Roger on the potential for a capacitor problem on that board.

James

#7 hozzi19

hozzi19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:49 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I had a moment to look at all your ideas today. I unplugged both hard drives and it still had the power issue. Immediately surging. I got it to load windows twice and then it immediate shut down. I inspected each capacitor and found one that has some brown residue, seems to have "leaked." Its right next to the SATA input on the board.

At this point I am going to go with Rogers idea and say its a bad capacitor.

I guess time for a new computer. Thanks again all! I appreciate the help!

#8 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:59 PM

Sounds like you found the problem.

Later when you try to reuse those drives, they might have gotten corrupted from the starting and stopping.

Let us know if that happens, we have a few tricks for fixing that.

James

#9 hozzi19

hozzi19
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

Thanks James...Im gonna try and get a case and get the data backed up off of them. Im pretty sure its corrupt. I built this computer a long time ago and it served me well over 8 years. Can't complain, nothing lasts forever I guess, haha!

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:12 AM

I guess time for a new computer

I thought your gonna replace the bad capacitor... :o

Tekken

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

If you decide to replace the capacitor, go to www.badcaps.net and look on the left side near the bottom for this

Recapping Tutorials
Overview
Cap Removal
Cap Installation
Testing Pointers

And visit the forums, plenty of helpful people there for capacitor issues. They'll help you with your TV too if you ever need help with it.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users