Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't start

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tajemi

tajemi

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

Hi all,
Let me start by saying that I am not 100% sure I am running XP... I can't remember. Not helpful I know!
Anyway, my comp decided not to start up a few months ago after the kids were playing on it. I have been using my iPad since, but need a pc to download my photos and do some photo editing.

So this is what is happening:
When I turn the comp on it goes directly to Windows Error Recovery
The Launch Startup Repair does nothing
I start windows normally and it just goes back to the Error screen and menu after trying to load. So I go into the Safe Mode menu.
When I choose Safe Mode it begins to load the files and stops on \windows\system32\DRIVERS\AVGIDSEH.Sys
When I choose Last Known Good Config it goes through and checks file system on c and when it does that it goes back to the Windows Error Recovery screen.

What else can I try to get this thing to boot?

ETA: I just dug out some comp info and found I am running vista... Oops. Can a mod please move.

Edited by Budapest, 07 May 2012 - 09:54 PM.
Moved from XP ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

Do you have either a Vista or Windows 7 installation disk that you can boot from to access the Recovery Environment and run chkdsk /r?

You wrote: "When I choose Safe Mode it begins to load the files and stops on \windows\system32\DRIVERS\AVGIDSEH.Sys"
How long have you waited? Give it at least 2 hours.

Please do the following:
  • (the screenshots are from Windows XP, but things will be essentially the same in Vista)
Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Advanced Boot Options" menu screen:
    • (or press F8 at the "Error screen")
    Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.

Edited by AustrAlien, 08 May 2012 - 10:44 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 tajemi

tajemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 04:34 AM

Thank you for your reply AA :)

I didn't let allow safe mode to try and load for long, the most recent time I tried to start it but I think I have let is run for quite a while after this problem happened initially. I will try agai this evening.

Ok so the infor requested is
PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000006B (0xC0000102, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I don't think I have an installation disk, but I could ask around and see if I can obtain one.

Thank you again.
T

Edited by tajemi, 09 May 2012 - 04:39 AM.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:19 AM

STOP 0x0000006B: PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

:step1: If Safe Mode will eventually load, then run chkdsk /r like this ...
Use the Windows Error Checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to fix file system errors and scan the disk surface for errors, attempt recovery of data and repair the disk.
  • Go to Start > Computer.
  • Right-click on the drive that you wish to check > Properties > Tools tab
  • In the "Error checking" section, click on Check now.
  • Place a checkmark in both boxes > Start.
  • If the disk you have chosen is the Windows system disk:

A message will notify you that a restart is necessary ask "Do you want to check for hard disk errors the next time you start your computer?".
  • Click Schedule disk check > OK and close all windows.
  • Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
    This will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
    When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.
A log of the disk check is recorded only if the scheduled re-start is used, and only for drives on the same HDD as the Operating System.
To open Event Viewer and view the log:
  • Go to Start > and type eventvwr and press the <ENTER> key.
    The Event Viewer window will open.
  • In the left pane, expand "Windows Logs" and then click on Application.
  • In the right pane, at the top, click on the column heading Source to sort the list alphabetically.
  • Look in the Source column for "Wininit", with an entry corresponding to the date and time of the disk check.
  • Click on that Wininit entry to select it.
  • On the top main menu, click Action > Copy > Copy Details as Text.
  • Paste the log text into your next reply.

:step2: If Safe Mode will not load at all, and you are able to get hold of either a Vista or Windows 7 installation disk, then boot from the disk:
At the "Install Windows" screen, if the default options are OK, click on "Next".
Click on "Repair your computer".
Click on "Next". You should now see the "System Recovery Options" window.
Click on "Command Prompt".
Type chkdsk /r and press <ENTER>
Allow chkdsk to run uninterrupted.
When chkdsk has completed then type exit at the prompt and press <ENTER>
Allow the computer to restart normally. Success?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#5 tajemi

tajemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:44 PM

Have had Safe mode trying to load all night... No success :( not much luck getting hold of an installation disk either. I have rescue and recovery diskc for an older version of windows...

#6 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:58 PM

Do you have a computer available to create a bootable disk?
  • (I am not sure you do since you wrote in your first post "I have been using my iPad".)

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#7 tajemi

tajemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:10 PM

Might be able to. Are there instructions on how to do it somewhere? Do they need to be running the same version of windows as on my comp?

I was looking on eBay, do you know if the recovery disks you can get on there are any good?

Edited by tajemi, 09 May 2012 - 09:11 PM.

#8 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

I was looking on eBay, do you know if the recovery disks you can get on there are any good?

I would have to know specifically what you were looking at. I can't recommend doing that at this time.

Not much we can do without a bootable disk, and no computer. Let's try and get a bootable Linux operating system disk created so that you can run it on your computer and have internet access and be able to download files and to burn CDs. We may need to create several different bootable CDs in our efforts.

Needing to download and burn the disk on someone else's machine, you are probably best to try for Puppy because it involves the smallest download. Download Slacko Puppy (there are two Puppy versions available on the download page) and then burn the downloaded .ISO file to a CD following the instructions below.

When you get back to your machine, boot from the CD and let us know if you are able to successfully load the Puppy Desktop and connect to the internet and post here on the computer. If you have important personal files that you have not yet backed up, it may advisable to use Puppy to copy them to another location such as an external USB hard drive.

==============
If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:
  • If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
  • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
  • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (versions for a CD, and larger versions that need to be burned to a DVD disk)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (download file size depends on version)
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will have internet access in the normal manner, with several browsers to choose from.
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.
You may find one of the following guides useful:
Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux

The easiest way to copy files/folders in Puppy is to drag-and-drop from one window to another. To do this open a window showing what you want to copy. Open another window showing the location that you wish to copy to .... and move the windows so that you can conveniently see both at the same time.

Now, simply drag the items you wish to copy from one window into the other. Simple.

----------------
Recent news, November 2011: You may be interested to have a look at the following:

The most popular Linux is...

No it’s not Fedora, openSUSE, or even Ubuntu. It’s Linux Mint.

Edited by AustrAlien, 09 May 2012 - 09:36 PM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#9 tajemi

tajemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:20 AM

Ok :) I have linux mint running...

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:41 AM

Mint: A good choice. You should be able to do just about everything you might need to do on your own computer now.

Have you attempted to boot from the CD/DVD and check out Mint yet?
  • Can you connect to the internet and browse as normal?
  • How is everything running?
You will certainly be able to "download my photos and do some photo editing."

If it eventuates that a re-installation of Windows is necessary, you will be able to backup all your personal files to an external hard drive or flashdrive ... or burn to CD/DVD.

The STOP 0x0000006B: PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED and failure to boot is a puzzling one, and there is another topic with the same problem that you might be interested in knowing about:

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

I have had a little think about possible options .... and it seems there is one that I have neglected to try, so let's see if it is available, and if so, whether chkdsk has any effect on the boot problem.

So this is what is happening:
When I turn the comp on it goes directly to Windows Error Recovery
The Launch Startup Repair does nothing
I start windows normally and it just goes back to the Error screen ...
When I choose Safe Mode it begins to load the files and stops ...
When I choose Last Known Good Config it goes through and checks file system on c ...

Do you see the option Safe Mode with Command Prompt?
  • What happens when you choose that option and attempt to load Windows?
  • Do you get to a command prompt?
    Give it at least 2 hours, before concluding that Safe Mode with Command Prompt will not load.
If you do get to a command prompt:
  • Type in chkdsk /r and press <ENTER>.
  • Type Y to schedule a check the next time the computer starts and press <ENTER>.
  • Type exit and press <ENTER>.
    Restart the computer and allow chkdsk to run.
    This may take considerable time, but do not interrupt chkdsk. Allow to complete.
    When complete, the computer will re-start and attempt to load Windows normally.
Success?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 tajemi

tajemi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

Seems to get stuck I the same place as usual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users