Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clicked on Link in fake email from fake Amazon. Wont boot up!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#1 cecpetzzz

cecpetzzz

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

I have a Vista Dell xps M1530. I receiced an email to my yahoo account from fake amazon saing my order was successfullycancelled. I clicked on link and realized iit was a scam since it took me to fake ad site. I did a MBAM and spyscan. No malware was found but the spware found and quaranteened several things. Today when I went to boot up, I get the Dell splash open sceen but it goes to the black "failed to start screen". When I try to open with any of the options, it just goes to black screen. I got a blue screen with white writing but it clicked off fast I ried to do a factory restore from the f12 screen but would not advance forward. Tried using the restore disc where you click f12 to open the cd disc, but all it did was say "loading files" and then nothng else.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Know you guys are probably swamped.
:-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cecpetzzz

cecpetzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

sorry for typos, i am typing with two fingers from my tablet

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:34 PM

Hello,what is your operating system?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 cecpetzzz

cecpetzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:13 AM

vista windows

also...when I try to use the safe mode, it will let me get the safe mode menu, but when I click an option, the computer will shut down and reboot to the Dell welcome screen, then the "failed start" screen.

Edited by cecpetzzz, 08 May 2012 - 06:19 AM.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,492 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

I have asked another to look here. Not sure if they will make it today.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 cecpetzzz

cecpetzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

okay, I will keep checking for post.

#7 cecpetzzz

cecpetzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

i have been trying to get into safe mode but once i select safe mode wiith networking, it goes to blue screen and then to black.

#8 cecpetzzz

cecpetzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

While waiting for an answer to this post, my computer allowed me to do a diagnostic test and it seems to have corrupt drives?
I get Error codes 0f00:0244 (many of them) cannot copy to here because this is a different computer.
Other error codes:
0f00:0244
0f00:0240
0f00:0750
0f00:0650
0f00:075d

Do I have bad sectors? Do I need to replace the hard drive with new one?

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

Those errors MAY indeed be caused by a bad hd, but the fact that it happened right after a maware attack is very coincidental and I'm skeptical. Can you still get that blue screen that flashes quickly? If so, when the system first boots start tapping the F8 Function key and get to the advanced boot options screen. Once there, click on: "Disable Restart on System Error" and reboot. If you now get the blue screen error, please post the entire contents here.

#10 cecpetzzz

cecpetzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:51 PM

I did what you said. It said failed to start and gave choice to launch repair or start windows normally.
Neither one will bring up the blue screen.
When I start in Safe mode it runs through the black screen with the drivers, says to wait, flashes the blue screen for a second and then black screen, then it reboots to the launch repair/start windows normally screen.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

Do you have a Vista cd? If so, please boot to it and run the startup repair options.

Instructions on checking your hd: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=hard+drive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps HERE

Instructions on checking ram: download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

Edited by Allan, 09 May 2012 - 05:57 PM.

#12 cecpetzzz

cecpetzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

I did the F12 and booted up the cd, it said "loading" then did nothing. I tried this several times. I also went in BIOS and reset the order like they said to CD first, then HD saved it and rebooted with the cd, it said loading, then black screen.

Edited by cecpetzzz, 09 May 2012 - 07:37 PM.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,633 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

The main reasons a system will not boot to a cd are:

1) The optical drive is not the first device in the bios boot order (I know you said it is, but please recheck)
2) The cd or dvd is either bad or not bootable or is not an original, retail OS disc (is it an ORIGINAL Vista cd?)
3) The drive itself is bad (please try a different BOOTABLE disc if you have one)

#14 cecpetzzz

cecpetzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

i checked it and tried several times. still getting blck screen after it says it i loading. it is the oriniginal cd and first time i opened it to use.

Edited by cecpetzzz, 10 May 2012 - 07:12 PM.

#15 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:02 AM

Lets have a look at the drive's master boot record also, it may be infected, causing the errors.

Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • Gently tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type the following and press enter:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

• Press Enter
  • After it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.bin
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to mbr.bin, zip it up and attach it to your next reply.

This will allow me to have a look at the MasterBootRecord of your drive and see if it is infected.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users