Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hyper-V For light weight games

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CHansohn

CHansohn

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

I have a windows server 2008 computer that is mostly used for backup's and SVN. I would like to get hyper-v running on it so when I have some friends over they can use remote desktop from there laptops to play the game on a virtual machine.
Is there a way to get a hyper-V windows XP computer powerful enough to run something like World of Warcraft on low graphics or something similar? I know there is no way a high end game like Crysis would ever be able to run on a virtual machine.
My LAN is wired up with gigabit so bandwidth for remote desktop shouldn't be to big an issue.

Edited by Al1000, 05 February 2017 - 01:12 PM.
Moved from Windows Server

CPU = Intel i7 950
Motherboard = Asus P6X58D
RAM = Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6X 2GB
Power Supply = Corsair AX1200W
Graphics Card = GTX 580 2-way SLI

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 magicalcow

magicalcow

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

The answer to your question is quite expensive. It is called RemoteFX which is a feature of Hyper-V. It also you to use a graphics card in your host box and pipe the GPU power to your VM and you connect to the VM via RDP session. Some of the cards that support this cost $5000+. However, I am told you can do this on cheaper cards that support the feature. I never tried on a consumer card before.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/virtualization/archive/2010/03/18/explaining-microsoft-remotefx.aspx
http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/02/it%E2%80%99s-here%E2%80%94nvidia-quadro-driving-virtual-desktops-with-microsoft-remotefx/

Edited by magicalcow, 11 June 2012 - 11:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users