Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Disk Boot Failure" sign and computer running very slow!!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gus88

gus88

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

In the past week my computer has been running extremely slow in all areas. Yesterday, it froze up and when I turned it off it would not turn on again and I just got a black screen with the message "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" After leaving it off for a day, it turned back on today but its still very slow. I dont know if this is a virus, or if my hard drive is just failing but now I'm afraid to shut down my computer for fear of it not booting up again. I appreciate any help/advice given. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

System manufacturer and model?

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000387.htm

Have you tried to run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic, as a basic step to assess the hard drive?

Louis

#3 gus88

gus88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hi and thanks for replying. This is a Compaq Presario SR1910NX model. Im going over the link now and will try those instructions. Also how do I run a hard drive diagnostic? Thanks again!

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:53 AM

Also how do I run a hard drive diagnostic?

Check the BIOS setup of your HP compaq model if it has a hard drive diagnostic usually at the Advanced menu. Run both test. Another option maybe is to press F9 or F10 to on first boot up to run the hardware test if there is not a BIOS fitness menu.

Tekken

#5 IT2k3

IT2k3

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:04 AM

Try these steps:
1.Ran the hard drive diagnostics.
2.If it passed the test,boot your system in safe mode
3.Disable startup items using msconfig.
4.Restart your computer and ran your anti virus/anti spyware software.

Edited by boopme, 10 May 2012 - 08:21 PM.
Removed commercial link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users