Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message With Dosx.exe And Autoexec.nt

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ladypaper

ladypaper

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 25 February 2006 - 08:32 PM

Hi, when I try to re-install a program such as HP CD Writer (because for some reason it exits during reading the CD), I get this error message "The WIN16 subsystem was unable to enter Protected Mode, DosX.exe must be in your AUTOEXEC.NT and Present in your Path". I don't see dosx.exe file and I did a search for autoexec.nt and nothing resulted. I do see it (autoexec.nt) in the repair folder in Windows Dir but I don't know if I can copy that one and if I can, I don't know where it should live. I've read this error could be caused by a virus/trojan and I did find a trojan recently.
Thanks ahead for any help you can give me on this.

Peggy

Mod Edit: Closed tags. ~tg~

Edited by tg1911, 25 February 2006 - 09:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:34 AM

Hi there Peggy

Have you tried reading through the help at Microsoft? I did it for you and found this here.

This seems like quite a common problem and at first guess i would imagine it is not caused by viruses/trojans etc....You say you found one recently. Did you get to remove it? In that link above there is a step by step solution. Have you tried that yet? if not please do so then report back with what happens.

David

Edited by D-Trojanator, 26 February 2006 - 01:08 PM.

#3 ladypaper

ladypaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 12:17 PM

Hi David, thanks for your repoly. I tried the link to Microsoft but it didn't work. "Requested page unavailable". I also tried searching on the website for the solution you found and I couldn't find anything. Can you please send me where I can find it?[/size]

thanks. Peggy

#4 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:09 PM

Ok, i have edited the post. It should work now :thumbsup:
David

#5 ladypaper

ladypaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 01:13 PM

Great - I'll take a look and try it. I'll let you know the results. thanks so much!
Peggy

Mod Edit: Close all BBCode Tags ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 26 February 2006 - 01:20 PM.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2006 - 04:05 PM

If that didn't work try uninstalling all HP programs. Shut town the computer, reboot and reinstall them.

By the way, did this program ever work properly?

Have you recently installed SP2?

You should also update the drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users