Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to Secure Local Administrator's Account

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

Need help securing the local administrators account. I was given this link, but wasn't sure if I had administrative privileges on 'another' account.

I don't want to change admin settings and then find out (too late) that I cannot reverse the changes when/if need be.

The person in the other forum directed me to here for more instructions. Thanks.

http://www.techrepublic.com/article/secure-the-local-administrator-account-in-windows/5692378

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 04:42 PM

What...is the question...you are attempting to ask?

<<The person in the other forum directed me to here for more instructions>>

Instructions concerning what?

At the moment, I see an open topic in the Am I Infected forum...I suggest that you wait until that topic is closed before initiating other topics on the same computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic452705.html/page__st__15

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 May 2012 - 04:42 PM.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

I don't want to change admin settings and then find out (too late) that I cannot reverse the changes when/if need be.

i understand your question ,its been my experience that if you have the admin rights to make the change , then you should have the right to change it back ,but haven said that ,best to use the admin acct created when winxp was installed ,the one that you get to when going into safe mode ,to make the needed changes .read the final thoughts in your link .

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#4 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

i understand your question ,its been my experience that if you have the admin rights to make the change , then you should have the right to change it back ,but haven said that ,best to use the admin acct created when winxp was installed ,the one that you get to when going into safe mode ,to make the needed changes .read the final thoughts in your link .

Ok, thank you.

#5 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:57 PM

What...is the question...you are attempting to ask?

<<The person in the other forum directed me to here for more instructions>>

Instructions concerning what?

At the moment, I see an open topic in the Am I Infected forum...I suggest that you wait until that topic is closed before initiating other topics on the same computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic452705.html/page__st__15

Louis

I can only have one topic going at once (on the same computer)? Please confirm if those are the rules. I was not aware of that.

As far as I know, the 'am i infected' thread is done. Cryptodan has advised me that I need to replace a graphic's card. I think he is probably right, but want to troubleshoot that a little more before concluding that is the problem. I am no longer posting in that thread.

My second issue (on the same computer) is that I am also trying to resolve an issue with windows update and mse not working. I am getting great help with that in the 'internet browsing' thread. If you want to shut down one of these two threads, then please close the 'am i infected one' thread instead of the active one.

The person on the other thread said they were not quite up to date on how to secure the local administrator's account, told me I needed to do that, and suggested that I post that in Windows XP thread. Which is why you find that query here.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:47 PM

Here is how I see it.

When a member posts multiple topics dealing with the same system...and one of those topics indicates the possibility of malware...that topic superceds all others for that system.

The elimination of the malware question is of the utmost importance and advice/suggestions concerning peripheral issues that may arise from malware...logically become secondary problems until the malware topic is resolved. Any effort to resolve/treat such peripheral issues...is a step in the wrong direction.

Once the malware possibilities are resolved or eliminated...that is the time to focus on other issues.

And...yes, posting multiple topics (at the same time) about the same system is frowned upon...since conflicting suggestions may be made by members who are unaware that the member is receiving suggestions/advice from a different forum...which may well compromise the efforts of members trying to assist on the same system.

Louis

#7 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

Here is how I see it.

When a member posts multiple topics dealing with the same system...and one of those topics indicates the possibility of malware...that topic superceds all others for that system.

The elimination of the malware question is of the utmost importance and advice/suggestions concerning peripheral issues that may arise from malware...logically become secondary problems until the malware topic is resolved. Any effort to resolve/treat such peripheral issues...is a step in the wrong direction.

Once the malware possibilities are resolved or eliminated...that is the time to focus on other issues.

And...yes, posting multiple topics (at the same time) about the same system is frowned upon...since conflicting suggestions may be made by members who are unaware that the member is receiving suggestions/advice from a different forum...which may well compromise the efforts of members trying to assist on the same system.

Louis

Thanks.

The problem is that a topic that started out about possible malware ("am I infected") can become something else ("you may have a video card problem"), which is what happened on one of my threads. And then when I posted about Windows Update not working, that helper wanted to ensure there wasn't malware on the system first, and they really put me through the paces on running diagnostics. I have to say, I have learned a lot. And I am very appreciative of the help.

There are a LOT of things going on with my computer right now, which is why I have been spending time here trying to resolve them. It took more than a week to recover from the 'blue screen of death' and to get it back to starting up in normal mode. If the graphics are going out on it (this is a laptop) it may just be that the thing is toast. I paid almost 1,700 for it only five years ago! I have had laptops last for more than 10 years and the video cards were just fine.

Anyway, I agree, ruling out Malware and getting Windows Updates and MSE working again are what I need to focus on for now. Once that is done, then I can see if there is any more troubleshooting that can be done on the flickering screen (it's minimal, but still a sign something is wrong).

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:29 AM

:thumbup2:

Louis

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:36 PM

This was my fault,I infeered thos topic not stating when. I think we'll be back tho.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:47 AM

No problem, all's well that ends well :).

Louis

#11 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:48 PM

Update: Ok, I did some googling and got my answer, and it was really easy. I looked at my user account (start>control panel>admin tools>computer management>local users and groups>user), then right clicked on my user account and looked at properties/clicked through the tabs and saw that yes, I was listed as having admin privileges, meaning I could undo any changes I made to the 'root' admin account if needed.

So I right clicked on the root 'administrator account' and renamed it, and also disabled it. I was also going to change the password (this was recommended in several articles) but then I got a warning message from Windows stating that if this was done the admin account could lose access to some data. They recommended logging on and resetting the PW that way, except I lost the PW, so that's not an option.

Does anyone know how critical it is to reset the password and whether the warning Windows gives carries any real weight? I must have changed the PW at one time, since I cannot get logged in by leaving the field blank (the default). If I did reset it now, via the method described above, what might I lose? Plus I have already taken these other security measures (renaming and disabling).

Any suggestions welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Anonix, 14 May 2012 - 12:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users