Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my mother board toast ALSO?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 waterslaw

waterslaw

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:12 AM

I broke my "HP Pavilion p6210f Desktop" when I tried to get all the dirt, grease and dust bunnies off the CPU heat sink fan.
To do a better job I unhooked and pulled them out, not realizing that the CPU had separated from the chip base.

Tried to replace the CPU and bent the pins. Tried to straighten the pins and after applying thermal paste, tried again, but the fan would cycle a few times and then shut don and repeated this over and over.

Is it possible that the MoBo was ruined by reinstalling the CPU or would getting a new CPU (if possible) make it work again?
This is the first post here since signing in years ago.
Here is a link to the HP stat page.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01859864&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=4006020

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:28 PM

Hi Waterslaw

I can try to help you. I don't understand what you mean by
"CPU had separated from the chip base"
so lets try to use the same terms to describe what happened. That's the hardest part of doing this in a forum instead of in person :)

You have a motherboard and on the motherboard is a socket for the CPU with lots of tiny holes in it. The socket is an AM2 or AM3 socket and has a little metal bar that you lift up to allow you to pull out the CPU and when you put the CPU back in you push the bar back down and that locks all the pins on the CPU tightly into the socket.

You have a CPU which looks like a square tile on a square circuit board with lots of little pins on the underside of it and says AMD on the top side. The pins go into the holes in the socket.

You have a heatsink (maybe with a fan attached to it) that is clamped or sometimes screwed to the motherboard in a way that makes it fit snugly against the top side of the CPU.

Which of those parts separated? was the CPU just pulled out of the socket without pulling up the metal bar first or did the CPU actually separate from its little circuit board so you have two pieces?

Any other descriptions may help. Also, describing whether or not you used that bar on the socket properly by having it pulled up before putting in the CPU and pushing it down to lock it in place or if you tried to put the CPU in the socket without pulling up the bar first.

James

#3 Coach Steve

Coach Steve

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:45 AM

Hi Waterslaw

I can try to help you. I don't understand what you mean by
"CPU had separated from the chip base"
so lets try to use the same terms to describe what happened. That's the hardest part of doing this in a forum instead of in person :)

You have a motherboard and on the motherboard is a socket for the CPU with lots of tiny holes in it. The socket is an AM2 or AM3 socket and has a little metal bar that you lift up to allow you to pull out the CPU and when you put the CPU back in you push the bar back down and that locks all the pins on the CPU tightly into the socket.

You have a CPU which looks like a square tile on a square circuit board with lots of little pins on the underside of it and says AMD on the top side. The pins go into the holes in the socket.

You have a heatsink (maybe with a fan attached to it) that is clamped or sometimes screwed to the motherboard in a way that makes it fit snugly against the top side of the CPU.

Which of those parts separated? was the CPU just pulled out of the socket without pulling up the metal bar first or did the CPU actually separate from its little circuit board so you have two pieces?

Any other descriptions may help. Also, describing whether or not you used that bar on the socket properly by having it pulled up before putting in the CPU and pushing it down to lock it in place or if you tried to put the CPU in the socket without pulling up the bar first.

James

James,

If I'm understanding his hardware naming convention correctly, the "CPU base" is the ZIF socket and if that assumption is correct, then what he described as happening is separating the ZIF from the board which, again... if I understand the situation correctly, the answer to his original question would, of course be, yes - the MOBO is toast...... UNLESS..... the area he lives in has a really, really decent computer repair shop which employs someone with seriously advanced soldering skills. But the cost of THAT repair would exponentially outweigh the cost of just replacing the board.

Then again, I could be completely wrong with my understanding of the situation.

Good luck in any case!

Steve

Edited by Coach Steve, 08 May 2012 - 02:46 AM.

#4 waterslaw

waterslaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

Yes, the CPU just pulled out of the AM2 socket without pulling up the metal bar first.
The socket is still connected to the board.

If I had used my head i would have gone to Youtube first and watched to process of removing the fan and heat sick properly, which I did later.

The lot of pins on the CPU got when I tried to reinsert the CPU into the socket while it was still stuck to the heat sink, sort of blind not actually seeing the pins and socket. And the lever was still in the locked position.

This is when the pins got bent, but after separating the CPU from the heat sink and attempting to straighten them using a credit card and a dental pic, I reinserted the CPU into the socket, which slipped in easily. This time, after watching a video, I lifted the bar and then locked it down.

Upon powering it up the fans ran for about 15 seconds then shut down. This repeated a few times , but nothing else worked.Then I powered down with the wall plug because the power switch had no effect even after holding it down for a few seconds. There was nothing showing on the monitor during this process.

Could this have shorted out the MoBo or would a new chip, if I could find one, solve the problem. I hope this description is more helpful.

#5 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:27 AM

I've pulled several CPUs out like that -- sometimes the thermal paste just doesn't want to let go! -- and never had any issues getting it running again. I'd recheck all your pins again to make sure they're straight. You don't need the heatsink at this stage but be very careful not to run the machine too long otherwise you might burn up your CPU. Without the heatsink, all you should be looking for is a logo screen or the start of a POST, then pull the plug. 10sec max. When I'm testing a CPU I usually keep my finger on the CPU so I can feel if its getting too warm. Just make sure you clean it up before putting new thermal paste on it when we're done.

Do you hear any beep codes when you power on the machine?

Try re-seating your RAM as well.

Make sure the monitor cable is securely inserted.

Edited by kisk, 08 May 2012 - 10:33 AM.

Posted Image

#6 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,945 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:28 AM

First, don't feel bad about this. It's a mistake that many people make and it is a mistake that you only make once because next time you know :)

If I had this machine in my shop I would check to make sure that all of the pins were accounted for. I would blow the socket with air to make sure that there were no broken pins in it.

If all the pins seemed to be still attached to the CPU and not broken off (all the same length), I would then make sure they were all straight and carefully try to reinsert the CPU into the socket.
Don't worry about the heatsink, just see if ANYTHING displays on the monitor and shut it off immediately if it does and then put the heatsink on. If NOTHING displays on the monitor, I would buy a new CPU.

As long as the socket still seems securely attached to the motherboard, it should be fine. Just make extra sure that there are no broken pieces of pins from the CPU in it. Your problem sounds a lot like a broken or bent CPU pin.

James

EDIT: Oops! I did not see that Kisk was helping you. Sorry, I'll bow out :)

Edited by NeverSayDie, 08 May 2012 - 10:47 AM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

If I had a dollar for every CPU that came out with the heatsink, I'd be rich. One thing about it, The Intel Socket 775 and newer cured that problem.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 waterslaw

waterslaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2012 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for all the help and advice. I've decided to just let this go for a while.
The laptop I'm using right now will hold me.
Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users