Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do not have audio

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MWBeno

MWBeno

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

After removal of a number of software programs via Add/Remove Programs I lost audio. One of the programs removed was Roxio 2009. When I click on the Volume control I get the Message " There are no active mixer devices available. to install mixer devices, go to Control Panel, click on Printer and Other Hardware and click Add Hardware". I did that but could not find anything like "mixer hardware".Is there some other device name to look for?
RealPlayer is installed and shows up on the System Tray. The operating system is XP Pro.

Thanks,

Mike

PS: I have since reinstalled Roxio but still do not have audio!

Edited by hamluis, 08 May 2012 - 10:26 AM.
Moved from Audio & Video to XP - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cataria

Cataria

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

My first though is that you may have uninstalled the drivers. Have you restarted the computer at all since this happened? Usually Windows is good about detecting and installing on start-up.

If restarting didn't help, go to Start > Run > devmgmt.msc.

If there is an Action menu (I'm using Windows 7 at the moment and can't remember what there is in XP), go to Action > Scan for hardware changes. See if it picks the sound hardware up.

What are the devices listed under Sound, video, and game controllers (or anything else that sounds like an audio device)? Are there any exclamation points or question marks listed beside the device names? When you click on the listed devices, what does it give for Device Status? Does it say "This device is working properly." or something different?

#3 MWBeno

MWBeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:49 AM

Hi Cataria,

Using Device Manager, I've been looking at the hardware attached. Audio hardware is listed with no question or exclamation marks anywhere. All device are listed as working properly and where applicable, and are Enabled.

However, in the SOUNDS, SPEECH and AUDIO DEVICES pulldown, Audio and Sound Recording selections are grayed out so nothing can be selected there.

As I mentioned, this is all happened after removing a number of unused programs using ADD/REMOVE feature of Windows. Some of the other problems created at that time were rectified by reinstalling software. But not all. . . .

Thanks for your help. Any other suggestions?
Mike

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:22 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#5 MWBeno

MWBeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:22 PM

The computer is HP origin running XP Pro, Pavilion model d4650y. All hardware is original with the exception of a 1TB Western HD and 4GB RM that have been added. All these problems are the aftermath of the SMART_HDD malware that has been (hopefully ) removed after many days of Bleeping Forum support. The audio was lost after suggested removal of extra programs. This was done with Windows Add/Remove. Some of the issues caused by program removal have been resolved by reinstalling the progams.

Thanks,

Mike

#6 MWBeno

MWBeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

It says next to the Post topic that it has moved. Moved to where? I'm kinda new to this Forum stuff. . .

Mike

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:03 PM

The Audio/Video forum...is primarily for 3d-party applications.

Driver problems do not belong there...they can either go in the O/S or hardware forums.

You have a driver problem and your O/S is XP...thus you wind up in the XP forum.

Try installing the drivers at http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-42532-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&os=228&product=3254029&sw_lang= .

Louis

#8 MWBeno

MWBeno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

Sorry. I was referred to the Audio/Video Forum when I began having the problem of getting error messages when trying to adjust audio levels. Thanks for setting me straight on forum protocol.

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users