Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM or CPU overheating?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 crafty2148

crafty2148

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:12 AM

Ok i am having a major issue with my computer and after over a year of researching, testing, and forum posting i THINK i may have hit narrowed down but still need your help to resolve this issue.

My computer would completely lock up (had to resstart computer) when i would watch any videos. I originally thought it was only when i streamed video online but found that even watching a video on my PC it would do the same. When it would lock up, a constant high pitched beep would come from the computer speakers (not the motherboard speaker) and would not stop until i restarted the computer. I orginially thought this was a software issue, so i originally posted in the software section of this website and after much effort, testing, etc. I think we all figured it was not a software issue. I did some research online which pointed me towards a possible RAM issue. My motherboard can hold up to 3 gb of RAM. I found out that if i use PC3200 400 mhz RAM that i could only use 2 sticks instead of 3 (not sure why). So i took one of the sticks out thinking this would solve the problem. Now my computer will just randomly restart when surfing the internet (not necessarily watching video). If i just leave it on and not do anything on it, it won't restart. So now i was thinking that maybe one of the RAM sticks were bad. So i started swapping sticks to see if any of them were bad, the same thing kept happening though. I then decided to check the BIOS settings to see if maybe there was something off. The RAM was set to 400 mhz so i bumped it down to 333 mhz. When i did that, with two sticks, it goes back to freezing instead of restarting. If i am correct about this, it seems that restarting issues usually point towards a CPU overheating and freezing can typically be anything but usually is a RAM/Video card issue. I am hoping someone can shine some light on this and help me solve this annoying issue.

This is what i am running:

ASUS A7V600-x
AMD XP 3200 2.1 Ghz processor
Kingston ValueRam 3 gb PC3200 400 Mhz RAM (Currently 2 gb)
ANTEC BP550 500 watt power supply
ASUS GeFORCE 512 Mb video card
Soundblaster Gamer sound card
Windows XP

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 crafty2148

crafty2148
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:52 AM

Can anybody out there help me on this?

#3 wddmwindow

wddmwindow

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:43 PM

Can anybody out there help me on this?

hey as ur cpu overheat use a high quality thermal greese and may install a chassis fan to keep control on cpu temp. for ram try another ram. lol

Edited by Queen-Evie, 05 July 2013 - 06:46 AM.
merged posts

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

Have you tried testing  the memory using Running Memetest86.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 674 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:38 PM

My PC started randomly shutting down (total freeze needing a switchoff to get out) earlier this year when playing big flight sims and strategy games, the fan would whirr in overdrive and the case was quite warm to the touch.
The local shop said the "paste" between two components had lost its heat-insulating properties so they re-pasted it and the problem has virtually gone away apart from the odd freeze which I can live with.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

My PC started randomly shutting down (total freeze needing a switchoff to get out) earlier this year when playing big flight sims and strategy games, the fan would whirr in overdrive and the case was quite warm to the touch.
The local shop said the "paste" between two components had lost its heat-insulating properties so they re-pasted it and the problem has virtually gone away apart from the odd freeze which I can live with.

I believe what you are describing is the thermal paste which is used to enhance the transfer of heat from the CPU to the heatsink.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 flowmego

flowmego

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

yeah,they re-pasted it and the problem has virtually gone away apart from the odd freeze which I can live with.15.gif

Edited by flowmego, 09 July 2013 - 10:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users