Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can directory be modified?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 richierein

richierein

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:37 AM

When transferring my default profile from C: to H:, I intended to create H:\Users\Richard. Instead H:\Users\Users\Richard was created. Is it possible to modify the directory structure to achieve my desired goal? Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zen Seeker

Zen Seeker

• Members
  • 695 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

I'm surprised that worked as the registry needs to be tweaked as well as it has the path for your CLSID.

This link seems to cover all the steps.

Here is a copy of the best answer on that post.
Note: If not a fresh install, after step 2's restart press F8 to perform steps 3-9 in safe mode.

I did a fresh install for this and so far it seems to be working. “User” is the Account name created at install.

Enable built in admin account, open cmd.exe (run as admin) and type -

1. net user administrator /active:yes
2. shutdown /r /f /t 00

After restart, login to Administrator and open CMD, Run as Admin, enter the following –

3. robocopy /copyall /mir /xj "C:\Users\Public" "D:\Users\Public"
4. robocopy /copyall /mir /xj "C:\Users\User" "D:\Users\User"
5. rmdir /S /Q "C:\Users\Public"
6. rmdir /S /Q "C:\Users\User"
7. mklink /J "C:\Users\Public" "D:\Users\Public"
8. mklink /J "C:\Users\User" "D:\Users\User"
9. shutdown /r /f /t 00

After restart, login back in to administrator

10. Under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
a. Find a key similar to this, "S-1-5-21-4288074848-3222386265-3783365272-1000", that has your User name and change the C to D.

Disable built in admin account, open cmd.exe (run as admin) and type -

11. net user administrator /active:no
12. shutdown /r /f /t 00

After restart, login to your account.

I actually created 3 cmd files, 1st with steps 1-2, the 2nd with steps 3-9, 3rd with steps 11-12. (Put Pause in between -each step.)

Make sure you do a FULL backup before doing anything. (Not just a recovery point.) If you lose anything or your OS gets damaged I can't help you.

Good luck,
Zen

#3 richierein

richierein
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:32 AM

Thanks for your research for me but if I first backup the system and execute this procedure, it will be easier and take less time to just re-create the whole user account in the correct place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users