Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something turning off Automatic Updates

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

#1 wicky

wicky

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:27 AM

I keep having an issue where my automatic updates get turned off at random times. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002, SP3. I've ran MBAM, Super-AntiSpyware, Search and Destroy, Avast antivirus and Microsoft Security Essentials. Also, I have ran these in safe mode as well. Nothing was found at the time. Would like some assistance with this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:58 AM

There can be several reasons behind this, but please try this first -

In case this situation happens to you, follow the steps below to reactivate the Automatic Updates service and get your computer up-to-date again.
For Windows XP

1) Click on Start
2) Click on Run
3) In the run window, type CMD and press Enter
4) In the black command prompt window, type the following command and then press Enter

REGSVR32 %SystemRoot%\System32\WUAUENG.DLL
(Note the Space between REGSVR32 and %)
Although the service should now restart on its own, its probably a good idea to also restart your computer now.

After the machine has restarted open the Security Center is Control Panel and verify that the Automatic Updates option is now working.

Let us know if this helps at all -

Regards -

Edited by noknojon, 07 May 2012 - 07:00 AM.

#3 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:15 AM

You can run the Microsoft automatic troubleshooter here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

Wouldn't Avast conflict with MSE?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

Yes, if both are running/installed at same time.

Louis

#6 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:06 PM

Yes, I have both Avast and MSE installed on my computer. However, I only installed Avast about 3 or 4 days ago, and this problem has been going on for months now. I turn the updates on, and they run fine...then I'll notice that they are suddenly turned off with no idea how they got turned off. I know that I'm not doing it. Xircal, I will try the troubleshooter you linked, and see what I get from there. Thanks!
noknojon, I did what you said. Your instructions made it seem as tho you think I couldn't turn the automatic updates back on...but that wasn't the problem. I turn them on, and something will turn them off. I turn them back on...same thing happens.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

noknojon, I did what you said. Your instructions made it seem as tho you think I couldn't turn the automatic updates back on

Not at all, I was hoping that the command may keep the updates turned on and over-ride them from turning off -

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
Please use this Avast removal tool after you uninstall the program to make sure it is fully gone - Then Reboot if not asked -

Regards -
Edit for spelling -

Edited by noknojon, 07 May 2012 - 10:34 PM.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

Automatic Upates service depends on Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
We need to first make sure BITS service is running and then make sure AU service is running automatically.

Click "Start", click "Run", type services.msc in the open box and click "OK". Double click the service "Background Intelligent Transfer Service".
Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" (Not “Automatic (Delayed)”).
Then click the "Start" button under "Service Status" to start the service. Repeat the above steps with Automatic Updates service:

Just a further idea -

#9 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

Automatic Upates service depends on Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
We need to first make sure BITS service is running and then make sure AU service is running automatically.

Click "Start", click "Run", type services.msc in the open box and click "OK". Double click the service "Background Intelligent Transfer Service".
Click on the "General" tab; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" (Not “Automatic (Delayed)”).
Then click the "Start" button under "Service Status" to start the service. Repeat the above steps with Automatic Updates service:

Just a further idea -

Did all of this. Both programs were on automatic, and both were already started. Not sure why you want me to remove my avast...it's the best antivirus I've ever known, and MSE states clearly that it cannot catch all the virus programs by itself. Can you clarify for me, please?

Edited by wicky, 07 May 2012 - 11:18 PM.

#10 kisk

kisk

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:00 AM

..... and MSE states clearly that it cannot catch all the virus programs by itself. Can you clarify for me, please?

All AV programs are "preventive" and not one will ever be able to catch everything all the time. Especially in the case of rootkits, AVs are usually stunned and clueless when one gets through. Definitely only one AV should be running.

I see you have had malware problems in the past, and its been awhile since you've last been serviced by one of our MRT members. Being that the turning off of automatic updates is not usual behavior that maybe it would be smart after all suggestions are exhausted here to visit the Preparation Guide again.

Edited by kisk, 08 May 2012 - 12:00 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:34 AM

Do the following.

• Click Start, go to Run, or if you don't have the Run command on the Start menu, hit Windows logo key + R
  • Type: services.msc and click OK.
  • In the Services menu which appears, double click "Automatic Updates".
  • If it says "Disabled", change the "Startup type" in the dropdown menu to "Automatic" and then click the "Start" button.
  • Finally, reboot so that the new value is changed in the Registry.
Needless to say, you must be logged in as Administrator to make changes to the Services menu.

#12 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:43 AM

noknojon, I did what you said. Your instructions made it seem as tho you think I couldn't turn the automatic updates back on

Not at all, I was hoping that the command may keep the updates turned on and over-ride them from turning off -

http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
Please use this Avast removal tool after you uninstall the program to make sure it is fully gone - Then Reboot if not asked -

Regards -
Edit for spelling -

The OP needs to uninstall MSE, not AVAST. The latter AV is by far the better of the two IMHO. It also has its own support forums.

#13 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:32 AM

Do the following.

• Click Start, go to Run, or if you don't have the Run command on the Start menu, hit Windows logo key + R
  • Type: services.msc and click OK.
  • In the Services menu which appears, double click "Automatic Updates".
  • If it says "Disabled", change the "Startup type" in the dropdown menu to "Automatic" and then click the "Start" button.
  • Finally, reboot so that the new value is changed in the Registry.
Needless to say, you must be logged in as Administrator to make changes to the Services menu.

As I posted above, I did that. Both programs are properly set. I'll see about removing MSE, but haven't seen the option in the add/remove programs section of the control panel.

#14 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 04:53 AM

..... and MSE states clearly that it cannot catch all the virus programs by itself. Can you clarify for me, please?

All AV programs are "preventive" and not one will ever be able to catch everything all the time. Especially in the case of rootkits, AVs are usually stunned and clueless when one gets through. Definitely only one AV should be running.

I see you have had malware problems in the past, and its been awhile since you've last been serviced by one of our MRT members. Being that the turning off of automatic updates is not usual behavior that maybe it would be smart after all suggestions are exhausted here to visit the Preparation Guide again.

Okay, following the steps in the preparation guide, and am wondering if you want the files posted here, or to a new topic in a different forum. It says to put the name of the problem in the subject if it's a new topic, and I wouldn't have any idea what to put.

Edited by wicky, 08 May 2012 - 05:54 AM.

#15 Guest_Xircal_*

Guest_Xircal_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:02 AM

As I posted above, I did that. Both programs are properly set. I'll see about removing MSE, but haven't seen the option in the add/remove programs section of the control panel.

Apologies. I saw the reference to BITS and only gave the rest a cursory glance.

Could you do the following.

• Go to Start, then Run, type gpedit.msc to open the Group Policy Editor.
  • Expand the following: Computer Administration | Administrative Templates | Windows Components.
  • Open Windows Updates and then in the right hand pane, double click "Configure Automatic Updates".
  • Click the "Explain" tab and decide how you want to receive Automatic Updates and then change the setting in the first tab to "Enabled".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users