Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalled roxio now laptop wont boot !!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chix2k10

chix2k10

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:26 AM

I recently tried uninstalling roxio backontrack from my hp compaq mini 110, Wouldnt uninstall via add/removed programs, so went to the program folder to see if there was an uninstall folder, I clicked to it then my laptop shut down and wouldnt boot. I get the option to use f8 and try to go into safe mode and last known good state, safe mode stops at BMload.sys. Last known good confguration flashes to a blue screen and then tries to reboot, failing and staying on a black screen. What can I do?

Any help appreciated

Edited by hamluis, 07 May 2012 - 07:48 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:50 AM

Since some data indicate that the mentioned file is malwaare, I have moved your topic to a malware forum and placed your system on our internal list of unbootable systems. One of the BC malware personnel should be assisting you shortly.

Louis

#3 chix2k10

chix2k10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 08:00 AM

This is why I was trying to uninstall roxio, This morning my AV caught a virus in restore. WAs going to use windows system restore after all the scans were done. Thanks....

From a VERY Novice computer user

#4 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Eradicator de malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

Hello chix2k10,

I'll do what I can to help you. Kindly re-confirm for me that your o.s. is Windows XP
Be advised that Windows System restore is NOT a "cure" for cleaning out a virus or other malware. Malwares are often inbedded into areas that are not covered by System Restore.

I am almost certain you did not wait long enough for Windows to load in Safe mode or Safe mode with Networking. You must have infinite patience while the pc is loading Windows, especially XP and especially on older hardware.

Restart your pc (or power off, wait about 1 minute, power ON)

Tap & retap F8 function key to get to Advanced Boot Options.

Select Safe mode with Networking.

Wait 5, 7, 10 minutes (whatever it takes) for XP to finish loading. Answer Yes that you want Safe mode (do not choose any "restore" )

Tell me about the result, and if it does load, wait for my next reply. I'll be guiding you.

btw, IF there is any BSOD I need the full STOP exception code

btw, if your AV tagged someting in "restore" point, just be aware "restore points" are not active and do not pose an immediate risk. There's a proper way to flush, but do not do anything on your own while I am guiding you
~Maurice Naggar
MS-MVP (Oct 2002 - Sept 2010)

#5 chix2k10

chix2k10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:39 AM

Ok so sorry for the delay, have been unwell. Yes its XP.

I left it trying for 2 days, still stopping at BMload.sys.

#6 Maurice Naggar

Maurice Naggar

Eradicator de malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,088 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

Two days is too long. One day to wait is too long. At most wait about 20 minutes, tops. Give one more college-try for Safe mode (this time No networking. Just plain Safe mode).

Restart your pc (or power off, wait about 1 minute, power ON)

Tap & retap F8 function key to get to Advanced Boot Options.

Select Safe mode.

Wait 5, 7, 10- 20 minutes (whatever it takes) for XP to finish loading. Answer Yes that you want Safe mode (do not choose any "restore" )

We need to know with plenty of detail just how far your get.

IF no joy, redo the above Restart steps with F8 and now select Safe mode with Command Prompt

and if still no joy, Do you have the XP operating system CD?
Do you have a recent disk-mirror-image backup of the system?
Do you have any recent backup ?
~Maurice Naggar
MS-MVP (Oct 2002 - Sept 2010)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users